1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I rent a Gen3 Prius in Northern California?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zanrok, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone,

So here is my problemo. I am trying to narrow down the decision as the date approaches to when the 2012 will finally be available.

However, since most dealerships in my area limit test drives to "around the block" and little 5 minute trips I cannot give the Prius justice for comfort. I am worried about the seats on a long trip or extended drive. Sooo this weekend we are traveling to San Francisco and I was hoping I would find a Prius to rent for a day to drive around and REALLY get a feel for it.

I had one all locked in at Enterprise and they went and rented it out without informing me, called today to find out. And they only have one...

I was hoping you guys might have another solution for me, whether it be another rental place, a Prius specific rental place,or even something I might have missed.

Keep in mind the trip is this weekend, so I probably won't have time to fill out applications from ZipCar, although I will try here tonight.

Thank you!

2. charlesinoc

charlesinoc meep meep :-)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try Hertz airport locations. I rented one last year from LAX airport Hertz.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd try Hertz, I was able to rent a Miata from Hertz when I thought I was interested in one, and found out I wasn't. They generally have weekend rates that are pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've rented Prius from these places in SF Bay Area -

Fremont Toyota, Sunnyvale Toyota ($89/day though), Toyota 101.

I rented Matrix at Walnut Creek Toyota, but they're farther away.

You best bet is to call all these Toyota dealers asap and others to book for the weekend.

One little thing to note on your rental drive - try to wear shoes that are comfortable for driving in. I would suggest something with pretty 'lean' soles. Bulky shoes or shoes with big soles like running shoes are not the most comfortable to drive in.

1 person likes this.
  5. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much guys! Made some calls tonight to dealers and pretty much all the rental places... but Hertz came out the winner!! got one for this Friday-Saturday. Ill let you know how it goes!

:)

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure to adjsut the tire pressure before your trip, as it is almost never correct. This will give you a real feel of the car.

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes.. I made adjustments yesterday as it was ~3psi lower due to winter temperatures. Made big difference in feel.

Most of the people running in their Gen III either 40/38 or 42/40 front/rear. I prefer 42/38, good luck

8. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just rented a Prius Plugin 2012 at Redwood City Toyota 101. $45/day 200mi ($0.20/mi for over 200). I did this just for as an extended test drive. It passed the test. I now just have to figure out what color I want.

10. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i've rented siennas from fremont with no hassle and even recall seeing an ad of theirs for a Rav EV rental!

11. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you happen to be in the Santa Monica/Venice area, there's a place called MPG Car Rental. They only rent hybrid cars. I see on their website that they have the different kinds of Priuses, the Lexus and Volt. Their website doesn't show the Ford Fusion, but I'm sure I saw a Ford in their front lot. Maybe there is something similar in your local areas. At least by renting (rather than doing a short test drive), you can make a better decision on what hybrid car you want to drive. There's also a blurb on their website about rental payments being used toward the purchase of a car, but see the details as I'm sure it ain't that easy.

Hybrid Car Rentals | Car Rental LAX | Best Car Rental Company Los Angeles - MPG Car Rental

Mike