1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can you find a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by San-Francisco, Jun 12, 2011.

1. San-Francisco

San-Francisco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I`m just wondering how common the Prius is.
    Here in the Netherlands it is inpossible to make a car ride without spotting at least one or more Prii, but there are countries where they are extremely rare.
    I`m just back from a visit to Indonesia, and I have been there quite often for the last 24 years.
    Just 3 days ago I spotted a PriusII in Semarang, a city on the island of Java.
    It was the first time ever that I spotted a Prius in Indonesia, and I was surprised to see one there, because the price of 1 liter gas is 4500 Rupiah, that is about € 0,36!
    A week before I spotted twice a PriusIII in Singapore, but gas costs there $ 1,95 (Singapore Dollar) and that is about € 1,11 per liter.
    I found out the price of a Prius in Singapore, and it costs a lot, 150.000! (€ 85.000).
    It is claimed to run 30,4 km per liter, but if I look at the temperatures there, it does not surprice me, Singapore has a very hot tropical climate.
    A PriusIII in Indonesia now costs 59.900.000 Rupiah, and that`s about € 49.500,=.

2. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, here in San Diego you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Prius. They're everywhere. Of the 15 guys in my office, there's 3 Prii and probably soon to be a 4th.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a parking lot with probably nearly 1000 cars. I think there's about 6-7 Prii (one more on days I drive instead of biking :) ) You get into more rural areas of the U.S. Midwest and it's probably even rarer. It has made up about 1% of all new car sales the last 5 years, but it takes awhile to reach that level on the road, given all the cars that are older than 5 years.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the metric/Euro challenged, 1 € = $1.45, so that Prius in Singapore costs a whopping $123K! But all cars in Singapore are expensive, it's a small island and tightly regulated, I wonder if that's including the hefty permit just to own a car.

€1,11 per liter = €1.11/liter = $6.09/gallon
    €0,36 per liter = €0.36/liter = $1.97/gallon
    The U.S. is at about €0.72/liter currently.

30,4 km per liter = 3.3 liter/100km = 71 mpg! Sounds like they use the Japanese method of optimistically computing fuel efficiency. Singapore has a lot of stop and go traffic, add in air-conditioning, I don't think they'd get above 55 mpg (23 km/liter). On the plus side, they don't go over 60 mph ever, unless they're driving out to the airport maybe.