1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WHERE DO I FIND OUT WHAT ALL THESE ABBREVIATIONS MEAN

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jiw395, Aug 10, 2006.

1. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HELLO ALL
    Hay, I tried looking around as to what all these abbreviations mean. To no avail :( ,PLEASE list the ones you use and explain..... Sounds to me that this would be a great 'STICKEY" FOR ALL THE "Newbies" like me and those others who are afraid to ask, or have no idea to ask,without fear of feeling stupid...... Starting with "ICE" and all the others I've seen, regarding oil testing and all the rest,. THANKS to all who respond.... :rolleyes:

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  3. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Aug 10 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]300685[/snapback]</div>

WOW, STUCK MY FOOT IN MY OWN MOUTH :huh: , SORRY, I LOOKED AGAIN :blink: AND SURE ENOUGH, FOUND THE "STICKY" :) I TRIED TO ERASE ALL OF THE ABOVE, BUT COULD NOT FIGURE THAT OUT EITHER :unsure: sorry again

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Norman, you probably are being ignored because people find SCREAMING TO BE ANNOYING.

Nate

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:04 PM) [snapback]300687[/snapback]</div>
    Or In-Car Entertainment for vehicles that ONLY have an ICE.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 10 2006, 01:32 AM) [snapback]300702[/snapback]</div>

just to clarify for you norman, using caps lock in internet communities is considered "yelling". additionally, it's more difficult for the average person to read something that was written in all caps, which would incourage others to skip over your posts without even reading the subject line. I did notice in your previous topics, that while you used caps for the subject, you tended to refrain from it in the actual post itself. To me, this simply implies that you weren't aware of the general standards used in online communities like PriusChat, and can easily be forgiven for the mistake.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 10 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]300713[/snapback]</div>
    Or what you find in your drink if the A/C is set too low. :D

8. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    sorry to if i offended anybody by using caps,with my bad eyesight, it makes it difficult for me to read what i just typed and takes a lot longer for me to make posts.
    I'll just read what other people have to say and be done with it....

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's OK, Norman. There's a learning curve with the Prius, and there's a learning curve with chat sites. We've all seen much worse here than someone using caps. Don't give up yet. :)

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    try this, to make things easier to read (if you're using the firefox browser): while focused in the browser window, press control and scroll down using the scroll wheel on your mouse. it will cause the font sizes in the website to increase, making everything easier to read.

Also, in firefox, you can change the settings by going to tools->options and selecting contect on the top. select advanced under the fonts section. choose your favorite font and size, and deselect the checkbox that says "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above"

unfortunately, i don't have a permanent solution like this for IE, however under the view menu there is a text size option that supposedly lets you set your text size for a webpage... i tried it, and met with extremely limited success.

If you don't already have firefox, you can download it at http://www.mozilla.com/

In almost every case it has better features than IE, such as tabbed browsing (which is amazing). With tabbed browsing, you can open all your webpages as tabs in one window, eliminating the need to have a million and one IE windows open...

11. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]301008[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, what he said. Norman, I'm new here too, but I'm a long-timer at several other sites. It takes about two nanoseconds of reading between the lines to tell who's a worthwhile contributor, and a decent person, and who is not. Other than the fact that you came in "cap challenged" you have not popped any red (or even yellow) flags in my view. Your questions are sensible for your level of experience with the car (about the same as mine -- nearly none!). In short, you'll do fine, stay with it. Sites like this one live and die on the quality of the membership, and I think you can help weigh in on the "live" side.

Oh yeah, I do feel for you on the vision thing. I spent the first decade or so of my post-college adult years flying jets in the Marines, so I'm used to living with easy, good vision. But now, at age 45, I'm just moving into the presbyopic "reading glasses required" phase of life. This really sux. As the previous poster noted, use your IE (or other browser) settings to bump the size up. :)

12. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 10 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]300713[/snapback]</div>
    ICE is not in car entertainment it's INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE on Prius chat

13. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 11 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]301525[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: The ICE is where maggie's penguins live, duh!! :huh: :lol: :lol:

14. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]301011[/snapback]</div>
    While I will agree that Firefox is far better than IE (though many sites still design towards IE and just claim that anything else isn't worth the effort), I personally am not that fond of tabs. I will use them on occasion, but I generally prefer having separate windows.

15. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is one that always stumps me that isn't featured on the list. I think it is "OMD" or something similar- it is usually used at the same sentence as "ICE"

16. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 10 2006, 01:32 AM) [snapback]300702[/snapback]</div>
    NATE,just real curious here, how are you figureing that I'm being ingored? like I'm real baffled right now,theres like a jillion replies, and I'm being ingored???????LOOK I'm not a smart nice person, { but the Lord knows I'd love to be one at certain times :D } I saw this a few days ago and I finally figured that I had to reply,I have bad eyesight up close, make it very hard to see, this took at least 15minutes to reply, and i'm real sick and tired of trying to explain my self to a buch of bafones who feel that they have to critize everything/everybody. so i ask, that you don't take this personal and don't get up set [ now i have 28 mins.], its kinda like a handicap parking place, I might look normal to you and your judging buddies, and might fail your grading scales, BUT AGAIN, THE LORD KNOWS whats really going on and its really not anybodies business[ to judge] me or others. wow now ya got me ranting which aint my stylemplus i cant see enouugh to see all my spellin mistakes, so again I apoligize BUT i had to get it off my chest

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Aug 11 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]301728[/snapback]</div>
    I think he just meant that were hardly any replies in the first day or so that you made the initial post. Here on PC, that's usually considered 'being ignored'. But now the thread has livened up a bit and gotten more replies... :)

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Norm,

Have you tried increasing the text size instead of typing in caps? Hold the CTRL key and scroll down with the wheel on your mouse. That should increase the text size in the entire window.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK these 'newbies" call them chat room or chat sites, but those of us that remember Comuserve remember when all Apple ][ computers did all upper case, at least until you did a hard wear mod to them. There were others. This is not a chat site. It is not real time. It is a bulletin board on which you post a comment and then others read it, not in real time. Red Rider, Red Rider let Henry come over! Chat sites are real time. But for a long, long time ALL CAPS IS SCREAMING, These are conventions that have been developed over many (short) years. Like smilies ;-) they are intended to convey content, and emotion. You are joining a conversation and you need to learn how to converse with the rest of us, so you can inform us as well as move us. Welcome to this bulletin board, and our community!

20. Zerkster

Zerkster New Member

Hdrygas, the backup camera is uber 8D
    curious as the the display cover that is sleek, is there a disign template or a site to order it from?

Just this morning i got up and out of bed.. my new baby was calling for me, i had to head outside and look, wave, and say 'good morning, i will be right with you'. Back indoors to shave and ready breakfast, feed the turtle (he was hungry for some attention too), then outbound my fiance' and i went to take a morning stroll, however on my mind was how to get her out again for a noon stroll, evening stroll, and utimately a nightly stroll.... there may be less smog but as a good friend puts it well, there is much increased SMUG! ;)

... my friend had his Prius before i got mine.