1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you get the nifty code reader things I keep seeing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CarenM's Prius, Jul 24, 2013.

1. CarenM's Prius

CarenM's Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Talked about? If ever I should need one I would rather not have to drive to the dealership if I get the red warning light on the dash. We live in the country and the dealership isn't all that close

If I could buy something Prius specific that would be helpful.

I have never been a DIY type, but can learn

2. WeeDrgn

WeeDrgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice question which I would like to know, too. I do a lot of DIY stuff and this Prius is the highest Tech. I want to do all I can do to keep it running well and this PriusChat is invaluable. So, DIY as best you can, get your hands dirty and feel good that what was done was REALLY done... But one thing I have learned over the years of DIYing...I haven't done all of the checks others would do so I have missed checking a fluid or two... Keep that in mind as I now try to do.

CarenM's Prius likes this.
  3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The top two to me are the Scangauge II and the Torque app for Android. If you have an Android phone/tablet, Torque is a no-brainer. You can get a bluetooth scanner for $15 on Amazon and the app is $5. Even if you don't already have a phone/tablet that you can use with it, you can buy a used or cheap one for less than the Scangauge. I would only go with the Scangauge if you want something that you just plug in and leave (I wouldn't leave a smartphone or tablet sitting on my dash while parked). Torque definitely has more potential.
    The Ultragauge is also good (better than the Scangauge in my opinion), but it doesn't have any option for adding custom gauges. Still a great choice for non-hybrids.

Just a note, I own all 3, so let me know if you have any more questions. I've only really used Torque in my Prius, though, the Ultragauge and Scangauge are both in my Escape via a splitter.

CarenM's Prius and WeeDrgn like this.
  4. Robo

Robo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. Robo

Robo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I havent't bought one yet, car md has a nice set up for DIY repairs. Check out the website at carmd.com. Once you buy the scan tool, you can look the code up, and then carmd will tell you what needs to be fixed.

WeeDrgn likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think danny sells them right here on p chat.:)

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, the "mini VCI" is available on eBay.