1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you keep Spare Change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by delrey, May 6, 2004.

1. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well one of the things that is nice about the Prius is all the storage nooks and crannies they've put in for us. I can't settle on a place to keep my spare change though. I used to use the little coin holder in my Accord to keep some money handy to feed the meters. I haven't settled on a spot in the Prius yet though -- am I missing anything obvious? I guess I can just put a little baggie of coins in the glove box ...

If you have a Prius and keep meter change in it, where do you stash it?

2. cybele

cybele New Member

I keep it unsorted in the top tray of the center console. The bottom of the tray is lined with some furry stuff and if I don't put too much change in there, it doesn't rattle around. Since it's laying flat, I can easily find what I want.

But I don't need to have too much on hand. I don't think there's more than three dollars in silver in there right now. If you have to carry around more, I think you'd need a better system.

3. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I shouldn't carry around more, I don't think!

Should I admit that I kept "topping off" my old change holder, and dumping extra change in the center console, until I had a weird electrical problem and they dug a lot of money out of places where it didn't belong?

It turned out that my extra change didn't cause the problem, but it could have given where it had migrated too ... :oops:

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I made a special wooden box to fit in the cubby under the stereo. Spent hours at the container store but couldn't find anything to fit in that particular place.

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just use a clear plastic film can (I still have a few old ones floating around- or go to a photo developing store for extras) to hold the loose change. Never could find in the console, so put in the storage bin under the Stereo.

In Orange County ,CA , we have toll roads that require exact change, and since we don't use them enough to get a Fastrac transponder, we have to keep change.

I always used to keep the ashtray full of coins, but no ashtray and the cup holders are too useful to use for change.

6. twindad

twindad New Member

I use the forward most 'flip open' cup holder as my change holder. It's not optimal since change gets caught in the hinge. It's one of those things, some change fell in one day and now it's habit.

7. seanwachob

seanwachob New Member

I use the second cup holder for change. The bottom is solid unlike the front one so no chance of change getting stuck in the hinge.

8. jasond

jasond New Member

Me too, but only for a little change or it rattles and annoys me.

I used to have a commute with a 30-cent toll.. I had a cupholder full of dimes. Not as much of an issue nowadays (and I use a transponder for tolls)

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Quarters are the only coins worth carrying since parking meters don't accept anything else except dimes, and self serve car washes take quarters. I keep a stack of quarters in one of those 35mm plastic film cannisters. Works great, keeps the coins handy. A canister will hold about ten bucks in quarters. The cannisters fit on the small tray in the center console. I put a small piece of the rubberized kitchen cupboard shelf material on the bottom of the tray (and in the glove box) to keep things from making noise. Works fine.

10. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

I have a small coin purse that fits exactly (strangely) in the space in the console where I would assume you put business cards. (Right behind the second cup holder and above the power outlet. The funny thing is that I've been using that coin purse for three cars now and this is the first time it has it's own place. :)

11. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was wondering what that little cranny is in the center console. It looks too big for business cards to me. What do other people use it for. Sometimes I put the EZpass there but usually it's loose in the center console and I move it to a cupholder when i'm on rte 90.

I keep my spare change in the felt-lined tray at the top of the glove compartment. I don't like that's it's easily knockable but I can't use the cup-holders since I always volunteer my car for lunch trips with co-workers.

12. Jim S.

Jim S. New Member

I've got an altoids tin wedged in there, but it looks like it was made to hold a casette tape or something...

I'm in the center console fuzzy tray group. That's one of my few complaints-- no ash tray to use as a change holder..

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

for the wife's 2k4 I got one of those small spring loaded coin holders and put sticky velcro on it and the inside of the main console and stuck it there. No rattles, no coins laying around the bottom of the console. Under 2 bucks all up.

14. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For what it's worth, I find the drawer in the front bottom of the center console is excellent for incidental trash, e.g. gum wrappers, receipts, napkins, whatever...

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm... actually i dont use the car for change storage. but i do have change in my laptop bag, planner and gymbag. i am never without at least one of those.

after reading i did an inventory and found $31.83 in change. but that is because i never carry change in my pants pockets.

i need to stop collecting change as there arent many places to use it. parking is mostly all paypoint. (paying cash is a hassle, credit cards only requires picking up the ticket on the way in. besides where im at (western WA) change dont pay the parking bills around here.

16. ifftster

ifftster New Member

hmmm...pants pocket, right front, next to my keys :D

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fargo does not have enough parking meters to worry about quarters, but we do have a convenient toll bridge. I keep a plastic bag of tokens in the drawer at the front bottom of the center console (along with my cell phone --emergencies only-- and tire gauge) and then I keep a couple of tokens loose in the door handle, where I can grab one and toss it into the funnel without stopping as I go past.

18. myride

myride Junior Member

when thinking of where to put coinage in the new prius i looked for what is handy and mostly unused....... the overhead glasses holder. havent had a problem with this since i added the film tubes to the mix. (dont try it with coins alone)

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Altoids tins.

I'm convinced that's why people buy those things in the first place -- it isn't the mints, it's the can.

20. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After almost a year of ownership, this is the first I've heard about the drawer. :roll: I had to go to the garage and check it out...pretty cool. Thanks for mentioning it!

About coins, I just tossed a handful of quarters into the center console storage tray. They're quieter there than either of the cup holders I tried first.