1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you put your trash?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by formerVWdriver, Apr 4, 2007.

1. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a messy person. I carry around messy children. I have put rubber mats in the Prius because I know us. But I can't figure out where to put stuff.

What do you use for a trash can and where do you put it?

Where do you keep your CDs? They don't really fit anywhere.

What's in your glove box? (Top one and bottom one.)

What's in your center armrest?

What's in that little space under the CD player?

How can I keep from trashing this beautiful new car?

Help! (And thank you.)

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Apr 4 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]417578[/snapback]</div>

ronahalpern likes this.
  3. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Apr 4 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]417578[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing, or whatever Target shopping bag I have on hand. I put it on the floor, or on the seat, or in the hatch.
    I have an iPod that I keep in the center console. For my books on CD I get from the library, I use either one of the two glove compartments, the side door, or the center console.
    Manual. Warranty. Flashlight. Leatherman tool. Teeny first aid kit. Tissues (3 year old son). Lipsticks. Pens. Pencils. Paper. Various and sundry other things.
    Oh jeez...lipsticks (again), hand sanitizer, hand lotion, power cables to portable DVD player, iPod, cell phone. Various receipts. Punch cards from a variety of different eateries/smoothie places. Matches. Trivia cards.
    Trivia cards. Pens. Lipstick. Lighter.
    If you find out, please let me know. I haven't managed to do it...
    Help! (And thank you.)

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A litter bag with Velcro on the bottom that keeps it anchored on the carpet. It sits on the hump in front of the console. I keep a grocery store plastic bag in it and change the bag when I dump the trash. The litter bag obstructs the drawer at the bottom front of the console, but that's not a big deal. I keep maps in the drawer and I don't routinely use them.

In the center armrest compartment. They fit well there.

(Incomplete list, done by memory) Top: registration, insurance card, map of state park trails, envelopes for ATM deposits, small brush, small eyeglass cleaner spray (for the MFD). Bottom: owner's manual, tire pressure gauge, multi-tool, small pair of scissors, small flashlight, gloves, instructions for installing my front end bra (for removing and re-installing for car wash), XM radio manual, spare necktie for work uniform, lint-free cloth (for MFD).

Bottom: CDs. Tray: reading glasses, plastic toothpick, pen, comb, box of mints.

More CDs and the empty case for the one I'm playing, hang tag for parking at the state park.

Teach yourself and your children not to be messy. :) Seriously, it can be done. In my younger days, I used no litter bag. The floor was more than sufficient and had a much larger capacity for a few weeks worth of hamburger wrappers, french fry containers, drink cups and cans (including an occasional beer can or five), discarded documents, etc. From the routine eating and drinking in the car, stains on the seats and carpet were inevitable. Now I'm meticulous about keeping the interior neat and clean. Set the example for your kids and insist on the same behaviors from them.

But you're not looking for lectures, I'm sure. You've got the floors protected, so I suggest seat covers. See this thread for a value-priced set that looks surprisingly good and has held up well so far, though with some installation issues that some of us dealt with.

Help! (And thank you.)
    Good luck, and enjoy the car!

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    CDs fit perfectly under the center console. I also put a whole bunch of quarters in the secret compartment. I'll put my iPod under the CD player once I get my DICE kit.

6. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm strictly carry-in/carry-out with trash these days and I make my 3 year old do the same (the 6 month old doesn't know how to litter yet :D). If I'm getting out of the car, any trash is coming with me to be discarded in the nearest receptacle. For road trips, we use a plastic grocery bag and it gets emptied regularly.

7. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The lower pullout drawer between the seats.

I have a visor CD sleeve for those w/o jewel cases and those w/ cases I keep in the center armrest console.

Top- I think there is a cereal bar and a small ice scraper mitt that I got for Xmas
    Bottom- Manuals/service records, tire gauge, gloves, napkins, flotsam

Mostly CDs, phone charger, gum (there is a little ledge in the front part of the armrest section perfect for 1-2 flat blister packs of gum)

Envelope w/ gas receipts, pen and I often toss my cell phone in there.

Well, that's up to you but what I do is make a point to look around almost every time I get out of the car to see if there is something I can take to throw away. That will reduce clutter.

BTW, you left out door pockets, which is where I keep maps. My wife usually has a hair brush and girly stuff rolling around in the passenger side door.

8. just_marci

just_marci New Member

Glove box - emergency hammer, owner's manuals and paperwork.

Center console - cellphone charger, tissues and change. Need to pick up a lip balm.

That's it.

2007 Prius: 26 thou.
    Condoms: few bucks.
    Knowing I will never have Cheerios ground into my upholstery: priceless.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Normally I don't put carry items that produce trash while in the car. If there is something I put it the bag it came in and throw it out when I find a trash can. I have seen bags that attach (via Velcro) to the back of the rear seat. They will even hold liquid if a cup isn't empty.

I have an iPod and don't carry CDs. When I did I kept the cases in the center.

Top has my book where I keep my auto expenses and some menus. I keep my registration and proof of insurance as well. I also have the instructions for my portable XM radio.

Stuff for my job, the charger for my cell phone, flashlight, tire gauge, multi-screwdriver, the valet cars and items for my iPod.

My remote to operate the portable XM radio.

Just be careful in what you do around it.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I have a little trash can that fits over the hump. For you, I suggest the kind that hand over the back of the seats. Two of them, one for each side in the back. Plus something for Mom in the front.

I have sleeves that fit over the sunvisors, one on each side. That means one goes on backwards but that's OK as I have the passenger side one so the CDs slide out toward the driver; makes them easier to grab. They are all back-ups I burned on my Computer in case they should be stolen or damaged. I've already cracked on so good idea on that.

Bottom: manual, first aid kit, all paperwork(registration,HOV,insurance,etc), swiffer
    Top: flashlight,spare reading glasses,map,small collapsible cup

Screwdrivers,tire gauge,altoids,clean fast food napkins, camera, coin purse with quarters

Garage door opener, receipts.

Seat covers and floor mats. Don't for get the cargo area. I also have two nets and a cargo tote for there. A vertical net, a horizontal net and two cargo totes actually. The horizontal net can come in really handy to prevent stuff from shifting. Get a swiffer for occasional dusting and something for cleaning (Don't use Armorall!)

BTW you didn't ask but I keep Kleenex in the little drawer on the bottom front of the center console. Look for it.

11. just_marci

just_marci New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 4 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]417639[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of which, what do you guys use to clean the dash? I could tell from the texture that Armorall would be a very bad idea. Every time I touch the dash, it leaves a mark. Is a damp cloth the way to go?

And I have to put a microfiber cloth for the MFD on my list of things to get, too.

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I bought a black mesh cylindrical pencil holder at Staples for four bucks. put some Velcro on the bottom, and stuck in on the hump forward of the front console. It makes a nice-looking trach can, and it never tips over. For the back, I found a trash receptacle at Target that has a tab that goes in the seat pocket to hold it flush to the seat back, with a magnetic closure. My kids know better than to get my car dirty (my wife is more lenient with hers).The compartment below the CD changer is good for holding CD cases. I keep my iPod, remote for satellite radio, more CDs, etc. in the center console. I won't say what's in the secret drawer. B)

13. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Thanks for all that good advice. And I don't mind a lecture about being tidy and teaching the kids! We all need to hear it.

That trash can that sits on the center with velcro -- do you attach the velcro to the carpet? That sounds like a good solution for me (along with the back trash cans).

I didn't know there was a drawer under the armrest. Holy Cow! What next?

And I also didn't know to avoid Armour All. Why?

I have used the trash-all-over-the-floor method before; I pretended it helped keep the carpet clean. But now I am going to reform!

I can see I need to chunk all the maps for the states I no longer live in, and get a tire gauge.

With so many places to stick stuff, I'll never be able to find anything! Better simplify!

Thanks, all you friendly and helpful people!

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(just_marci @ Apr 4 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]417643[/snapback]</div>
    Keep microfiber cloths in your car- besides cleaning fingerprints off the MFD, they are good for wiping dust and smudges off the glossy parts of the dash. I keep a small duster in the glove box and go over the dash with that now and then. When the dash gets a little dirty, I just wipe it with a damp cloth. The last time I was in the auto parts store I saw that Meguiar's makes pre-moistened wipes so I thought I'd try those- their products are generally pretty good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(just_marci @ Apr 4 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]417632[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Apr 4 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]417651[/snapback]</div>
    Put the hook part of the velcro to whatever you're sticking. It will stick to the carpet. The carpet acts like the fuzzy part of the velcro.

We figured you didn't know about the secret magic drawer since it wasn't mentioned.

ArmourAll leaves an oily residue. Before the textured plastic (04-05) it also left the "color" streaky. There are other reasons. I think someone said it could dry out the plastic or cause cracking. I just don't use it.
    I'd save the old maps somewhere for a few years unless you know for sure you won't be driving in those states. But get them out of the car.
    A tire gauge will be your best friend when you start to get hyper about mileage. Best way to increase mpg is to maintain tire pressure.

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Apr 4 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]417651[/snapback]</div>
    There is no separate piece of Velcro for you to attach, if that's what your asking. The bottom of the container comes with strips of the "hook" side of Velcro; the carpet serves as its own "loop" side.

I should mention also that the container is weighted at the bottom, to further help keep it in place and prevent tipping when full.

17. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did a bit of recycling. Went somewhere (Whataburger.. Texas thing) and got a super-size drink. Holds like 40 or 50 ounces and tapers in real tight on the bottom. In the center console I lower the back seat drink holders and put the Super-Size drink cup in the front most position. Easy for me to get too from the front, and close enough for the kids to get to from the back.

Don't listen to them... no luck there. Do have an MP3 disc in center armrest.

Top: Pen and sticky pad for my mileage logs
    Bottom: Manual and tissues (kids).
    Slide out middle drawer: Looking to put a fire extinguisher there.

Tray: Change
    Rest: Garage opener, MP3 CD and iPOD.

Badge for work.

My little trashcan does the job. I just empty it into a plastic bag whenever it's full. Could even keep the bags in the fire extinguisher drawer

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(just_marci @ Apr 4 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]417643[/snapback]</div>
    I have a dash cover, which can be removed for cleaning. It has the advantage of being able to attach small items with Velcro, if I wanted to. I understand that some have used the Swifter to clean the dash.

[​IMG]

19. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I keep my trash in a standard auto trash bag that is velcro'd in front of the center console. (One of the best tips I got from this website!) As someone else noted, it does block the little storage area but that is not too much of an issue as the only thing I have in there is tapes -- and I doubt that in 13 months I have ever listened to any one of them.

Top glove box has CDs -- they fit great there and above it breath mints, gum in packages.

Bottom glove box has registration stuff, warranty, owner's manual.

Center front storage area has more gum, kleenex and not much else.

Center console has a potpourri of stuff, most of which (aside from the change on the top tray, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer and aspirin) I never remember quite what they are and am always somewhat surprised when I check out the contents from time to time.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Apr 4 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]417578[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing. If it's a wrapper or a tissue, I just usually use the cupholder and empty out the next time I stop the car

In the in-dash compartment. It'll fit 3 normal jewel cases or 6 thin jewel cases. I also have them in the centre console box.

top: map, screwdriver, tyre pressure gauge, ruler, touch-up paint, swiffer
    bottom: owner's manual, LED torch, hand sanitizer, tool kit

CDs, pens, post-it notes, phone charger

err.. CDs?

- Get a rubber cargo liner if necessary
    - Avoid eating in the car
    - Avoid drinks without a lid in the car
    - keep cleaning supplies like towels and stuff handy to soak up accidents