1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where I Mounted My XM MyFi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mystery Squid, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Works great, you can even select numbers with both your hands on the wheel, as I think most people are able to stretch their fingers...

[attachmentid=2305]

[attachmentid=2304]

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But it looks like the device blocks a major air vent, the most important one to me as a driver...I'm very picky about having a constant air flow coming into the car (usually just the outside air, not A/C or heater).

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. Mystery Squid

Well, if you're picky in that respect, then this mount location, obviously, won't work for you. Whenever I'm using the MyFi, I just close that particular vent such that hot air doesn't blow onto it (at least in the winter). Personally, I don't think shutting down one vent is a big deal at all, as there are the other 3, with the left-most one still blowing air towards the driver.

I like it here because it's in my "line of sight", and can change the stations by simply extending my fingers from the "2 o'clock" steering position...

5. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is pretty cool...unfortunately I am picky about that one particular vent, LOL! Just that one, none of the others matter to me in the slightest. Is the MyFi one of the portable XM units (ie: not just car-only)? Clean, simple design, I like it a lot more than the look of the more rectangular ones.

6. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

I'm mounting my SkyFi2 much the same as AAF...Just a little higher. That way, I still have access to the secret stash drawer in the front of the console. Pics to be posted tonight:)

7. Mystery Squid

:lol:

Yeah, it's the portable unit. I guess that's also why that type of mount works for me, as I rarely ever leave it in the mount when I don't feel like listening... I pretty much bring it everywhere with me, plus the color compliments my Prius interior... :lol:

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I first knew about the portable one by seeing an ad for the MyFi. I went with the Pioneer as I liked the look. Too each his (or her) own. :)

The Delphi is not too expensive either. About $149 at Sam's club, which includes the mounts for car and home, plus headphones which are a smaller portable antenna. It can record up to 5 hours, allowing you to time-shift any programs you want (the Pioneer does that too).

9. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That looks nice. I actually had the Pioneer mounted like that, but the adhesive came off the mount and it dropped down. The hump mount is supposed to be "temporary." The drawer does open, but not as far. If I really need to pull it open all the way, the mount is simply held on by Velcro.

11. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the velcro...I wanted to get the industrial strength stuff, but when the Walmart bag came back, it had basic velcro. If it sticks, it's good, if not, I'll buy better stuff.

The great thing is that it's just velcro, the adhesive will come off with GooGone and nobody would know...:)

12. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

My concerns on the velcro were well founded. The weak adhesive melted and fell off after a day of moderately warm weather.

My solution? Replaced the velcro with 3M Command Picture Hanger strips (the ones on the left). Kind of like velcro, but better :).

So far, they've been holding tough for a week and the warmest weather in months!

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mounted mine MyFi in the same spot as brock so that the wife could see it if she was in the passenger seat. It was also close enough to a crack in the panel that I could run the antenna cord and the power cord behind the dash. They wired the power behind the cigaret lighter so that I would not lose my front power point. Best Buy did it for me for $12 I think.

14. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just out of curiosity, for those with the portable XM/Sirius radio units in their cars: when you change the station, do you have to push the button on the unit itself, or is it interconnected with the steering wheel audio functions/buttons? Just asking because it would seem to me a bit dangerous seeing some of the positions the units are in, for one to have to reach down near the 'hump' or below the main portion of the dash while driving just to change the station. :eek:

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For my portable XM, I use the remote to change the channel. As I listen to only one or two channels during a trip it isn't hard to do. I know by feel where the channel buttons are so I just aim the remote down. There is also a Jump button which goes to the last channel so I can flip between two easily.

16. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, a remote! Now that's a good idea! The only person I know who doesn't have XM or Sirius integrated into their car is my brother, but his car is a '99 Corolla so it doesn't have those nifty steering wheel buttons anyways, so I didn't know if those are compatible with the portable satellite radio systems. Thanks!

17. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

Remote's the way to go! I keep it in the slot under the car stereo. I've noticed that when my wallet isn't in there, the remote bounces around...I need to line the rest of the slot with some felt or something. Keep the noise down.

I also only listen to two or three channels. Soon (April) baseball starts and then I'll be bouncing between 175-186 (or whatever those channels are!).

Love my XM!!

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a problem with the items sliding around in that drawer. I got some material at a hardware store that's used to line tool shelves. It's rubber-like and keeps things in there from moving. I plan to use that in other areas, like the pockets in the doors.

19. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

Ooooh the rubber stuff! Great idea! Too bad I hadn't thought of that myself! :) Thanks!

20. captkras

captkras New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thomas Brock @ Feb 21 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]214110[/snapback]</div>

This looks really clean, and you have given me some ideas on how/where to mount my SkyFi2 in my 2002 Prius.

One question, is what is the best way to run the wires for the antena, power, and cassette? (I like the cassette as opposed to the built-in modulator).