1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where in the HSI indicator should I be when I pulse?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bennela, Dec 4, 2010.

1. bennela

bennela Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been trying my P&G and when I pulse, I keep the HSI indicator's fat bar about half-filled on the right half (ICE running), but try my best to not let it go into the 'pwr' zone all the way to the right. I have hooked up my Scangauge II and see that the rpms are well below 2000 when I do this. IIRC, I read elsewhere that the RPM during a pulse should be around 2200, which would put me well into that 'pwr' section on the HSI. I thought this 'pwr' section was to be avoided during a pulse. I'm feeling more and more confused with P&G. Please help!

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I tend to pulse with the fat bar just about full, or slightly into the PWR region. Others pulse even harder, nearly filling up the PWR bar (though this is nowhere close to flooring it). You're currently doing about the minimum that anybody would do for a pulse. Since there's not a universally recognized "best" point, I suggest experimenting for yourself, as it may vary depending on traffic and other conditions in your area.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bennela,

1800 to 2200 is best with a 1.5 liter 2nd Gen Prius.

The larger engine in the Gen III is different. Wayne Gerdes is recommending about 1450 RPM.

I would stay out of the power zone. I am usually on the high side of the gap between the ECO leaf and the PWR bar. I do not have a tachometer.

The power section usually indicates that Battery is being used to assist the acceleration. As that battery power needs to be replaced, and that energy loop cycle is less efficient, you want to avoid that.

To be sure you are not using battery, go back to the display with the components and lines. Be careful doing this however, as the display is poorly done - one can hardly tell the difference , without looking right at the display, between the regen and battery delivering power drive train.

Whoever Toyota's human interface designers are, they should be given a lateral promotion over to door knobs. They are just inept on these displays. A better approach would be green for regen, and red line for battery usage (and ideally, with a gradation to indicate magnitude). Ratner than a solid/skelaton line, with moving arrows. As the arrows take time to move, one cannot spot the state quickly.

4. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    bennela,

I recommend you read this over a couple of times. It was hard for me to get it on the first few reads, and there is a lot to learn from it:

The Tao of HSI

5. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Using a scangauge and trying to keep a constant 20 hp load means being at the high end of the right scale, leaving a little triangle of non red showing ie keep out of the power zone by a bit, unless traffic conditions demand a faster start.