1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where is the 7th speaker location?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SomervillePrius, Jan 12, 2006.

1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok,

So the JBL system has "9 speakers in 7 locations". I can count to 6 location that I noticed (2 front dash, 2 front door and 2 rear door). I guess the 7th is a subwoofer but I couldn't find it. Where is it hiding?

I don't have a prius yet so it's not like I could go out and look.

/Robert

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On top of the LCD display hood.

3. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Argh? It's a center dash speaker? I didn't see that! I was hoping it would mean a subwoofer... that all said I find the JBL system to have too much bas, muffled mid range and tin can tweeters... They work ok on low volume and low volume works because the car is so quiet but it's not that impressive a system... the integration with bluettoth, voice control, nav system makes up for it.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know what it is, as I'm not an audiophile and all I listen to is News/Talk stations. All I know is that a speaker is located on top of the LCD hood. You can't really see it from the driver's seat.

5. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, I believe you. The speaker located on the top of the lcd is probably a mid-high range speaker put there to help locate the sound in the middle of the car (instead of coming from each side).
    Come to think of it I thought the sound came too much from the center dash when I test drove it but couldn't figure out why (I'm sure that can be adjusted).
    To me it's a sign that when they went with 6 speakers it didn't sound good (voices too separated into each door) so they added this as a cheap fix.

Thanks for the info.

6. lee

lee New Member

To my ears, the system sounds much better with the center speaker disconnected. It's very simple to do, just carefully pry up the two corners farthest from the windshield, disconnect the plug and wedge it under something below so it doesn't rattle, then snap it all back together.

I made the change a few weeks ago, and the results were dramatic. There is still plenty of central imaging when appropriate. That's the way stereo is supposed to work; they shouldn't have tried to mess with it.

7. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree, stereo sound only have info for left and right sound. Adding a speaker in the middle gets complex (sure you can add left and right together but that is not easy and I"m not surw what you really gain).

A lot of people are used to surrond at home and in a surround system the center speaker really helps but with surrond there is more channels then left and right. I guess the center speaker here is to appease the avearge consumer

I might try to disconnect the center speaker but I thought I remebered a graphical control where you could move the sound in the car? I would probably move the sound a little bit towards the rear as a first test.

8. lee

lee New Member

I don't think you'll be happy with that solution (moving the sound towards the back), but try it and see for yourself.

Disconnecting the speaker takes about 2 minutes.

9. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, I don't think I would have come up with that idea myself and I do think I will like that solution. I am an audiophile :)

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are my ears not sharp enough? Everyone said the sound quality improved with the centre speaker disconnected. I've tried and I could barely hear a difference. There is one, no doubt but not the dramatic difference that the people here make it sound like. Is it maybe because of my equalizer settings? I already have the MIDs down 2 notches, is that why?

11. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have the mid's down? I though the mid range needed boosting as it was weak compared to the rest. If you don't hear a difference be happy! Most people aren't bothered by sound quality the more listen to the music This is a great thing. Once you start obsessing with the technical quality of the sound (i.e not the music itself) you end up going down a slipper slope that costs a lot of money :)

That said I don't have a Prius yet so I can't test the mod.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have the mid's down because there was too much coming from the centre speaker (hence the reason to disconnect). I have the mid down 2 notches, the treble up 2 notches and the bass up 1

13. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you and I most likley like different music or I didn't have enough experience with the stereo (24hrs test drive). I mostly listen to jazz, classical and NPR so I want as linear sounds as possible. When I listen to 60's soul or rock I don't mind if the bass is turned up a bit and the mid range depressed (it tends to be mostly bass and treble with a lot of electronic sounds anyway)

I liked the middle rane up one notch (or two) and the treble and bass flat. I thought the midrange sounded muddy with default settings but turning it up ended up having the sound in the middle (I didn't realize there was a speaker there). If turning the mid range down made the center sound less then I think I believe even more in disconnecting the middle speaker to solve the problem... well maybe :)

14. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I did a lot of frequency response measurements and my take is that leaving the bass mid and treble at zero is best to achieve accurate sound. Some people prefer boosted bass and treble though and there's nothing wrong with that if that is your preference.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmm, well my music range from hip hop (no rap please.. god) to classical, to pop, alternative (some), soft rock/easy listening. Almost everything except country, rap and metal/heavy rock.