1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is the low side port?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fenwick32, Jun 28, 2010.

1. fenwick32

fenwick32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2007 Prius and the A/C is having trouble. It sounds like the compressor is trying to kick in. On previous cars this was solved by recharging the system. Yet I cannot find the low side port, found the high side staring me in the face. Where do I look? Under the car? Behind a panel?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The low side port is in plain view: Find the inverter coolant reservoir. Note the metal pipe running under the reservoir. That is part of the low-side AC plumbing.

Look for the inlet port on that pipe, which is covered by a grey plastic cap with L on the top. The port is also near the orange high voltage cable that runs from the AC compressor to the inverter.

I hope that you are aware that the Prius AC system uses special refrigerant oil which does not conduct electricity, so be sure not to use refrigerant that is premixed with regular refrigerant oil. Use of such oil will destroy your electric compressor.

3. kswahl1

kswahl1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the max psi you can charge the low pressure port too. I live in texas and mine is reading 40psi. I'd like to get it to 50psi. would that be ok?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the spec for AC system pressure:

Test conditions:

Temperature at the air inlet with the switch set at RECIRC is 30 to 35°C (86 to 95°F)
    Blower speed control switch at ”HI” position
    Temperature control switch at ”MAX COOL” position
    A/C switch ON
    Fully open doors

Gauge reading:

Low pressure side:
    0.15 to 0.25 MPa (1.5 to 2.5 kgf/cm2)

High pressure side:
    1.37 to 1.57 MPa (14 to 16 kgf/cm2)

0.25 MPa = 36 psi so your idea to raise the pressure to 50 psi will result in system overcharging.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The high pressure side is the one that really matters. 250 psi is OK. 300 should be max.

If you go to 40psi, when the compressor is running, it is overcharged or the compressor is not working, and the high side is low.

35-38/275 is a good reading at 85 degrees F.

Unless you have a special valve that allows charging liquid refrigerant to the low side, only gas should be introduced to the low port.

A sauce pan of 180 degrees water can safely be used to heat the can to move the gas into the system faster. But be careful, if you have NEVER serviced air conditioning.