1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is the Prius made?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DAT1, May 17, 2006.

1. DAT1

DAT1 New Member

I thought all of these cars were manufactured in Japan however the Wall Street Journal reports that Toyota as of last December is also producing in China.

I'm in manufacturing and the quality of products coming from China is not the best. My company frequently reworks products produced in China that fail. Should I be concerned about this as my new Prius which is to arrive this week may be made in China? Can this be right?
    From what I've seen of the ability of China to produce quality products is not up to standard. Yes I know Toyota has it's own standard however you wouldn't believe the names of the companies we are doing rework for who pride themselves in Quality of their product. I have to say that if mine comes made in China I may have to rethink this.

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I listed on our FAQ an interesting page from the Yale Faculty of Engineering Wiki that details the specific factories in Japan.

Currently as I understand it, all auto factories in China only make vehicles for their domestic market.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prius is up to know manufactured in Japan. The Camry hybrid will be the first car that will be manufactured in USA (and Japan) but factory is not online yet (I think). This is the first time I heard China mentioned for hyrbids

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it was announced last year that Toyota would manufacture the Prius in China for the Chinese market only. There was a thread here on PC about it. I want to say October or November. At that time there was also a rumor that there would be a line for them here in NA but nothing since.

5. DAT1

DAT1 New Member

Thanks everyone that helps set my mind at ease. I inquired through one of our contacts in China about this and will let you know what they say.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If the first character of your "VIN" is a "J", the vehicle was assembled in Japan.

7. Redblue88

Redblue88 New Member

The gov't requires disclosure of where your car is built. Mine said 100% made in Japan and I bought last month. I guess if you start seeing made in China disclosures, you'll know.

8. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

Where is the Prius made?

In heaven of course

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the Kentucky plant will start making TCHs starting around SEP or there abouts. The Chinese Prii are for the Chinese domestic market. China requires all foreign companies to partner with chinese companies and sell the product under the chinese manufacturer's brand name, if I'm not mistaken. Basically, it's a great way for the chinese to play catch-up, getting to take a look at many of the foreign companies processes and designs. They can do this because of the vast potential market that china represents. I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

After some research, came up with this:

[attachmentid=3507]

This is arial view of "Toyota City" right outside of Aishi Japan. All of the major blobs you see are Toyota plants or parts manufacturing facilities.

I've marked the Tsutsumi plant, where the Prius is made. This plant also makes Camry, Premio, Allion, Caldina, WISH, and Scion tC. It was opened in 1970, the building is 611,000 sq m. In 2005, it employed 5070 workers.

Sources: google earth, & http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/pdf/toyota_world/2006/chap2.pdf

I started with the pdf and used google earth to make a match. You can see the final coordinates in the lower left of the image. Using google earth to look around all of Toyota City and surrounding area leaves quite an impression. There are more plants not shown in this image. I tried to zoom in and see if I could see any Prii in the lots, but not enough resolution at that level of detail.

1 person likes this.
  11. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 17 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]257084[/snapback]</div>
    I mailed the Kentucky plant a letter last month asking about the start date for the Camry Hybrid in the US. The customer relations department emailed me back and said Fall 2006. All Camry Hybrids coming in now are made in Japan.

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In 2005, Toyota made 179,407 Prius in Japan and 113 in China.

If you have your VIN number, the 11th digit shows the factory.
    3: Toyota Tsutsumi plant, Japan
    7: Toyota Auto Body Fujimatsu plant, Japan

Edit:
    Maybe, following number exists on early production...
    0: Toyota Tsutsumi plant, Japan

Ken@Japan

13. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  14. caliprius83

caliprius83 New Member

Dood omfg that is way cool.. heh mine is def japonees(sp)
    go cool linky thingys that doo neat stuff
    and of course go prius/toyota!!

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I took a tour of what I'm 90% sure was the Tsutsumi plant in late 2003 well before I ever had or even test drove a Prius. I did see the 2nd gen (for the US) Prius being assembled there on the same line as the Camry and I believe the Lexus ES along w/a whole bunch of other models. No cameras are allowed inside though.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toyota/fa...tour/index.html for more info. It's near Nagoya if you ever end up being in Japan near there.

If you've never been in a car factory before, it's pretty cool. I've also toured a Mazda plant in Hiroshima, a Nissan plant in Oppama, and the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA.

16. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all auto makers, mercedes, bmw, vw, toyota, honda, etc. have plants in china that produce the same vehicles that we see on the streets in the US.
    The plan is to bring the QC and technology of auto making in china up to par slowly by only selling the cars made there domestically, eventuallly, those cars will be exported overseas. Just think, twenty years ago Made in Japan meant cheap and undesirable. Perhaps 10-20 years from now, anything not made in China would be conisdered weird and foreign and cheap.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ May 18 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]257390[/snapback]</div>
    Can anyone sign up? or do you have to find a tour that includes a Toyota plant tour?

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 18 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]257718[/snapback]</div>
    Just pick up the phone and give them a call (see the URL in my original post). I don't recall what I did off hand since it was >2.5 years ago.

Not sure what part of Canada you're in, but if you just an auto factory tour and you're in the west coast, the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA (http://www.nummi.com/tours.html) is great too. They just don't make Priuses there.

19. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

The Prius is made in Japan