1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where or where is the EBH hole????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Santiago, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK all you EHB guys.... I bought an EHB thinking I knew where the blasted hole was, well when I insert it, the hole is not a good fit (a little large and is not quite deep enought). It is right above the picture with the arrow pointing to the "general location." The hole (looking up with my feet point forward) extends to the left. Since the axle boot is right there (just below) I suspect the hole is into the transverter. So..... I am feeling above there looking for something that has a hole extending to the right and I can see or feel anything. The hole I found is just above a bolt but I have no point of reference for what might be just above there. I can feel a cylinderical buldge with what might be an indent that could lock the EBH that might extend to the right (looking up) but my skinny hand and arms can get enough to the left of this area to see if I can slide the EBH in to what might be a hole. Could any of you "wise folks" shed any light on this problem? I haven't seen any pictures on coming down from the top and I have the riders front wheel up on a curb so it's not like I don't have enough room to move my arm and elbow around. Help!:confused:

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In GreenHokies block heater thread most all the pic's are there to see including one ken1784 had of the drivers side end of the engine without inverter. If you can feel the cylindrical bump from the engine block on the drivers side of the engine block, if you can feel the ridge with the flat part that is at the entrance to the hole at the drivers side of the cylindrical protrusion, the hole is right there.

Then again if you can wait, a long weekend is coming up around Thanksgiving......

Wayne

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With your feet pointing forward the hole is to your right...the passenger side of the vehicle..the Internal combustion engine block. You insert it from driver side toward the passenger side.

IMO (and be aware that Wayne uses a different approach) the easiest approach is to have your feet sticking out under the passenger side door and reach up using your left hand.

There are a plethora of photos showing you where the hole is, but if it's not a very snug fit and if you don't feel the retaining clip snap into place do NOT plug in the EBH...we've seen that once before and it will catch fire or at least fry itself.

There are lots of details in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...ine-block-heater-yourself-guide-may-help.html

4. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK, I've found the hole (on the rider's side, just below a heater hose and cylinder #4) but I've now tried for 45 minutes to get the EBH into the hole. I can't hold it in the right position without loosing control of it. I can't imagine how I could do it (if I ever succeeded dry) with the grease. I am trying to do it with my left hand and have tried three different entrances around the flanges, etc. that block easy access. I'm a very slender person with long arms and fingers. It would seem to me that this would be impossible for a large armed person. However dozens of folks have obvious succeeded. I just don't get it! I don't know if I need encouragement or lyposuction to remove part of my left arm so I can get in far enough.:cool:

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure the cord is NOT attached...the core will not fit in the space necessary if the cord is still connected. You have to do that after the core snaps into place....yet another headache that'll frustrate you to no end if getting the core in the hole is giving you this much trouble! Just a little something to look forward to!

6. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I finally found the hole, and after several "dry" inserts, I greased it up and locked it in place. The key for me was to loosely secure it to my finger with a rubber band so I wasn't concerned about dropping it when I was moving it to the extreme left to insert it.

After an hour or so trying to plug the AC line into it (even though I thought I knew the proper orientation of the female plug), I finally had to release the core and rotate it a couple of times (just a few degrees) and I finally made contact.

A quick plug into AC to check it out nearly burned my probing finger but all's well that end's well. My only remaining question is how do I secure the male AC plug to the lower grill? It wants to pull out when I plug it in to the power cord.....:cheer2:

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 suggestions on the cord...
    1) Use a zip-tie to secure it to the slats of the lower grill.
    2) Buy a short extension cord (8" length is how they're often sold) and attach that to the OEM cord but use the extension to plug into the wall. Many of us have had to replace our EBH or repair the plug end of the cord (in my case both things) b/c there tends to develop a short due to wear at just behind the reinforced area near the male plug end. If your short extension takes the wear then you can easily replace it without having to replace or repair the original cord.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, congratulations...glad your perseverance paid off!!!

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Before my plug frayed and shorted just behind the male plug from the strain of several "Oops forgot to unplug" episodes, I used the cap to secure the plug to the grill.

1. Slide the strap of the cap down the wire a bit
    2. Push the cap inside the grill next to a vertical support, then back out
    3. Put the cap on the plug. Never had a problem.
    After the wire frayed:

1. I bought a 15' 16G three prong extension cord and soldered it to the old end. Used electrical tape over each solder joint and shrink tube over the completed union. Put electrical tape over that too, just to make sure it was well covered.
    2. I made a loop in the extension cord so no strain on the joint and wire tied it to the vertical metal piece centered in front of the radiator. It had a couple of convenient holes.
    3. Fed the male plug out the grill. For storage, I shove it back inside, around a vertical grill support and adjust the wire so it is flush in the grill.
    4. The wire just sits on the plastic skid plate thingy (sorry, don't know the technical term)
    5. Made a sign "UNPLUG THE CAR!!!!!" that I put on the driver's seat every time I plug it in. No problem forgetting since then.
    The thing I like about this is there is no exposed connection. My car lives outside and rain/ice/snow just don't seem like good things for a live electrical connection that is not covered or waterproof.

Only problem is I couldn't find any 18G (same as original wire) 3 prong cords and the cap doesn't fit the 16G. It would be nice to keep it dry.

If you check around PriusChat, someone did a REALLY nifty setup with a waterproof plug mounted in the bumper behind a now hinged license plate. A lot more work, but invisible and the plate would protect the plug from the elements.

10. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    2) Buy a short extension cord (8" length is how they're often sold) and attach that to the OEM cord but use the extension to plug into the wall. Many of us have had to replace our EBH or repair the plug end of the cord (in my case both things) b/c there tends to develop a short due to wear at just behind the reinforced area near the male plug end. If your short extension takes the wear then you can easily replace it without having to replace or repair the original cord.

Thanks Efusco for the suggestion.... Radio Shack has a three-pack of the 8" guys and I've got 2 left to free up my computer power strips that are home to huge transformers.:rockon:

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome...I promise this will save you uncounted headaches down the road....I'm sick and tired of splicing cords (twice on my Prius, once on my wife's Highlander Hybrid) and replacing the EBH (one on my Prius).