1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Where there's smoke, there's fire."

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 2to4, Mar 19, 2010.

1. 2to4

2to4 Wherever we end up

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Where there's smoke, there's fire." That's an old saying that is considered to be correct. However, I don't accept many things that people say have happened, unless I've experienced them.

There have been multiple reports of Priuses having brake problems around the country and on this forum. Toyota has a recall involving the brake software. I never experienced the problem, but Toyota downloaded its new, brake software to my Prius. I still have not experienced the problem.

There have been several reports that Priuses have accelerated without direct input from the driver, but none on this forum. Toyota says that Priuses do not have an acceleration problem. I have never experienced the acceleration problem with my Prius.

So ...

1. Has any Prius ever had a brake problem?

2. Has any Prius ever accelerated without direct input from the driver?

2. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So ...

1. Has any Prius ever had a brake problem?

2. Has any Prius ever accelerated without direct input from the driver?[/QUOTE]

Do a search in the forums and you'll find many threads on the brake problem. Most people have experience the brake issue, some to a lesser degree than others.

The issue of uninteded acceleration is also discussed in detail on other threads. Not sure if anyone on PriusChat has experienced this before.

Check the other threads, though. You'll find your answers there.:D

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Brakes. I figured I would never have the issue either and was putting off the recall. But last Monday I guess everything aligned right and I hit a sharp ridge of ice (about 2-3" high) just before a crosswalk. I was only going 12-15mph. As soon as I hit, the brake pedal sank to the floor, the lights on the dash lit up (not sure which ones), the car beeped, and the accumulator came on. It didn't feel like the car stopped braking but I had to put my leg into to it to slow the car down for the stop. It surprised me but not that much. Had I been going faster it probably would have been more butt clenching.
    With that, I called and they got the update done today. I don't notice much difference but will unlikely be able to find the right situation to test to see if it made a difference.

2. I haven't heard of a GenIII taking off other than the CC issue.

4. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The so called brake problem is a product of ABS and regen braking, get used to it. I know not many people are teaching this now, but slam your brakes as hard as you can in an ABS car. Try it, brakes work for a reason.

The CC issue is more like idiots can't use a new technology, perhaps they should read the owners manual before they whine and complaint

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My defensive driving course involved emergency braking on gravel roads using ABS and steering around an obstacle.