1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to buy a 08 Prius frame?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StangBanger, Mar 26, 2010.

1. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any idea on where I can buy a 2008 Prius Frame? I know it sounds crazy and the obvious answer is the dealership but Im wondering if theres any other options. Situation goes as such.
    Have an 08 Prius that was in an accident. The front end isnt perfectly straight so theres added stress on the driver side cv. That being said..it breaks prematurely because of the added stress.. I know i should just get rid of it but i wanna see if i can just switch the frame out for another reguardless of cost..Any ideas?

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you say "frame" what part are you referring to? There is no conventional "frame" on a Prius since it's a unibody car. There is a front subframe which is bolted to the car and supports the engine and lower suspension components and in the front there are lower rails that are welded to the body. You can buy either of those parts from any on line OEM parts place like parts.com. I replaced part of my passenger side rail on my salvage '08 a it was about $200 for the part.

1 person likes this.
  4. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well just found out I dont need the entire frame since it comes in sections.. I might be able to get away with buying the front crossmember which is around $1,000. If that will resolve my problems up front it would be worth it to me since i got the car for super cheap and the rest of the cars is running tip top.. Im thinking about tackleing this with limited knowledge (might get the bentley repair manual..seems to be the most thorough). This might get interesting.

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check with these folks:

AutoBe Yours.com

They are a Prius exclusive salvage yard-rebuilder.
    They have an excellent reputation here.
    I've used them and can say they deliver on what they
    promise, hurry-up quick.

3 people like this.
  6. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jelloslug..From the looks of your avatar..It seems like you ripped into it just like i will. I will most likely tackle this project as I just received my Hobart 210 Handler and wouldnt mind digging into the prius to fix her up. If you dont mind..Could I bother you for some tech questions from time to time through a faster means of communication? Im no sure exactly what parts i will need so i will most likely lift it up tomorrow and start picking at it. I seems that whatever components hook up to the driver side front CV axle isnt straight because the pressure is on only that side because its broken twice..My main concern in while im working on the car..I dont wanna get shocked to death so "disconnect the battery" on this car? What guides did you use to disassemble and reassemble the car? Ive been looking at this Bentley guide
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0837615534/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1563926806&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GWZNGJSR0B7GAX6427S
    .. seems MUCH better than the regular Haynes manuals.

Rokeby..Thanks..I checked out the site with no luck.. Im pretty good at digging stuff up but all my attempts lead to dead ends there..Thanks anyways..

Thanks for everyones help.. Stay tuned..this will get interesting im sure..lol Just need to get a camera so I can show you guys whats going on.. Another update tomorrow..afternoon..But all replys come straight to my phone so ill be paying attention.

7. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    a Good place to check is municipal auctions. here in nyc they auction the bodies all the time.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recommend you download relevant sections of the Toyota repair manual, at techinfo.toyota.com for $15 for a two business day subscription. Good luck with your rebuild.

9. v10BlackBox

v10BlackBox New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If its just a front cross member you might be OK if it s a bolt itn, but if its a extension or structural your just asking for trouble without a frame rack. Expecially if you have to break the factory spot welds or cut a extension to replace it.

To correctly do a front frame replacement is not a trivial task and not possible for a home mechanic without a huge amount of investment in tools that would equal a couple of Prius's in value. Can take me up to three days to do say a weld in front clip on a truck and get everything aligned as factory.

Just the opinion of a mechanic.

10. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly what Im looking for..thank you.. I do have a plethora of tools..including a Mig welder, 60 gal air compressor, lots-o-air tools..3 ton and 6 ton jack stands and 2 huge floor jacks even a creeper..and most importantly..common sense..lol Only things i dont have (but im working on it) are a plasma cutter ( theres always the air cutoff tools and angle grinders..and the sawzall :thumb:) and a huge lift like the pro shops have ( i work slowly with my jacks stands and big floor jack).

Sorry bout the lack of a good update today guys but Ive got another Toyota which is my actual hobby..my 1989 4runner and it took me all day to strip my 84 parts truck... Ill post some pics of all that later..Photobucket is acting up for me..

11. v10BlackBox

v10BlackBox New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you have the hang of it. You have most of the tools, just remember that if you you get a plasma cutter to remember your kurf when you cut. Bit me in the butt a few times when I started doing stuff like this, the cutoffs actually work pretty well as they don't take as much material out. Unibody cars are a major pain compared to the older stuff.

12. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ask away. There are very specific places Toyota says you can cut at when working with the lower frame. It's all laid out in the Toyota Collision Repair Manual.