1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to buy new OEM traction battery in/around NYC?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, Sep 5, 2022.

1. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I typed this yesterday on this here forum: "Mine's still driving well, knock on wood sticky deteriorating steering wheel buttons..."

Today: "Check Hybrid System Stop the Vehicle in a Safe place." F7^K!!!!

Managed to drive home slowly from NJ to NYC with only the IC running...hoping I didn't F anything up, drove fine but for it never going into electric mode. Not in "limp mode" - it felt like it usually does in ECO mode IC driving. My damn iPhone + apps wouldn't connect to ODBII, so tomorrow I'm breaking out the old Android phone and pulling codes.

If it's looking like the battery, does anyone know any dealers in or around NYC that actually sell these to customers? While I'm not looking forward to it, swapping a new battery in for the old myself and saving a few bucks appeals. Thanks.

2. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    8-year-old hybrid needing a battery? Ouch!

If you want nearly guaranteed longevity (for 8 more years!?): your Toyota Dealer or Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store

If you want pretty close to OEM quailty, but for less and you can sell your old cells: NewPriusBatteries.com | Home

If you're feeling experimental, but the kind of experimental that many others have done and have had good results: Feel the Lithium Power! (projectlithium.com)

If you want to just get the code to not come back so you can sell the car: Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay and Tenergy Charger for 2.4V-7.2V NiMH/NiCD Battery Pack - Tenergy and a multimeter.

4. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. Could be that it's not the battery, charged my Andoid phone and will pull codes today. Mileage was good before this so hope it's something else. That said, when I bought the car Dr. Prius said battery was "poor" (can't remember exact term, but meant works but not great) so if it is the battery, well, caveat emptor applied and I still got the car. My friendly expert Prius advisor/mechanic said for the price, it was probably worth it even if I had to buy a new battery. Hope he was right - but this is a pain!

#4 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  5. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Confirmed P0a80. BTW I changed the title to "OEM" because I was advised to go OEM by a Prius expert I know and trust. Simple as that; I'm not questioning anyone's choice or advice to go non-OEM, just saying for the present, I intend on going OEM. Perhaps my view will change as I drill down into these threads...and maybe I'll find I can squeeze a bit more life out of this battery somehow.

But for now, if anyone reading has experience with dealers in the metro area that will sell direct to customers for customer install, please let me know! I'll call around tomorrow too. Figured someone on here local to NYC might have gone through this.

Thank you.

#5 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  6. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  7. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your battery might be a good candidate for repair, if one or two models are about one and a half volts lower than the rest.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles? no warranty?

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One feller here recently became a victim of that scam after a few drive cycles. Let me bring him here and interject.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  10. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you. I still have my Prius that I haven't been able to drive or sell since I bought it two years ago because I'm too honest to not tell people all the problems it has. It needs a battery, a California compliant catalytic converter and there's a good chance the cylinders are scored and it needs a new block, not to mention I bought it wrecked and fixed the cosmetic issues so it looks nice, but it was still in an accident none the less.

At that rate I may end up hauling it to a junk yard and get less for it than what I've put into it. I've already got the battery codes fixed by replacing a couple modules with eBay ones, and I could go to another state in the car and put an aftermarket cat in it just so the CEL stops turning on and tell the buyer that it only uses a bit of oil, but other than that it's a "perfectly fine car." But I'm not that kind of person.

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are the specific error codes and sub codes?

12. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi. 154k - I live in NYC. I think that 4k over 150k screws me, no? I thought it was 10 years/100k but reading conflicting info. Even if CARB-style 150k (we don't share other CARB state guidelines) I'm over.

bisco likes this.
  13. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi @PriusCamper. I only got that code mentioned above: P0A80. I used Torque Lite. Dr. Prius was misbehaving this morning but I can try that one.

I don't want to hijack my own thread but I drove the car quite a ways home and it felt and sounded fine, just never went EV...it pretty much behaved as normal. I know this question has been asked a lot but does it sound like it's OK to (very gently) drive to a shop if needed? I realize no guarantees, but is the worst case damage or more like car refuses to drive or goes into limp mode? I've read several reports here.

I haven't disconnected 12V or cleared codes or anything like that yet.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's important to know that the symptoms you have could be many different problems and battery replacement is worst case scenario. I've fixed batteries pack problems like this in less than 5 minutes after a Toyota stealership tried to trick the owner into buying a new battery pack, which wasn't needed. Try Dr. Prius app and post some screenshots so we can tell you about how your battery pack is doing?

15. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We may be simultaneously posting; see above to answer your question: P0A80 only, I didn't see any subcodes. I took a screenshot of Dr. Prius but the car was just idling in driveway and not under load so I am not sure of the worth? I'll attach. Thank you.

Attached Files:

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a feeling that this battery is too young to die. It could be dying, but it may just be corroded bus bars from being in a humid environment. the Torque app (Android) and the Bluetooth/OBDII connector @PriusCamper mentioned is a great idea to see what's going on. I'd get those, test the car to see what modules/blocks are "acting up", then take the battery apart and clean the bus bars, put it back together, and see if those same modules/blocks are still acting up. A multimeter would also be a good idea.

I will stress to be careful working on a high voltage battery, but it's not impossibly dangerous. Still, I do warn that there's a chance of frying yourself dead and burning up your car, home and town. Just a disclaimer to be careful.

PriusCamper likes this.
  17. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Already being talked out of working on it by girlfriend and dad. Won't the big orange lever help? I thought of cleaning the bus bars. I have a multimeter from working on 110v electronics projects. Car batteries do scare me, I admit. Hybrid ones a bit more.

@PriusCamper (or anyone else) I'm happy to take more measurements if needed. I do admit I used Dr. Prius for some basics but never really understood what a lot of what I was looking at meant...or rather I knew what it represented, but didn't know how to interpret it.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those Dr. Prius numbers look good for the moment. Monitor the "voltage diff" number while you drive. The most common problem is that number will rise from it's normal 0.12v up to much higher numbers and that can at times get so high that car throws P0A80. Sometimes this is as easy as cleaning out the corrosion inside the battery ECU as well as the pack, but sometimes it's more than that.

19. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is a dumb question but I'd rather ask a stupid question than etc. etc.
    1) Is it safe to drive in this state?
    2) Will I see voltage differential feedback if driving with the "Check Hybrid System" warning? I guess I (erroneously) thought the traction battery, regenerative braking etc. was taken out of the equation when in that state?

20. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Watch lots of videos and see how the battery is put together. Modules next to each other don't carry much voltage. Grabing terminals from end to end will. The orange plug does help and it is necessary to remove it to remove battery cover for that very reason. If you work on 110V electronic projects you're probably smart enough to know what your doing.

With the bus bars you keep your hands on one side an close together for the most part. I did get some cheap HV gloves for just in case, but most feel that's probably overkill. Still doesn't hurt. As you take the bus bars off one by one, start from one end and the potential voltage drops every bus bar you take off. Just be careful putting them back on you don't misalign them.