1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to buy official OEM parts.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zoeboi954, Jul 25, 2017.

1. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've already looked in seach bar and I was seeing a mixture of different websites. I'm looking for real oem waterpump. No fake/generic parts.

My waterpump has failed again, which to be honest this doesn't surprise me anymore, I'm starting to thinks this is a common thing in the prius. hence the reason why they didn't put temperature gauge in the car.

I'm only looking for website thats sell real oem parts. I've been through about 4 ebay waterpumps(each from different user) since the first time my waterpump failed. and it seems like 90% of the waterpump on ebay are knock off and only last a month. The waterpump in my car now came from the dealership. Since November of 2016. before I order another one I just wanted to see if there any official oem sites yall would recommend

2010 bought used at around 110k
    I'm around 280k in miles, but engine was replaced so its about 120k
    I drive a lot in Florida heat.

#1 zoeboi954, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    zoeboi954 likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Parts.com

The current engine coolant pump lasted 9 months and was sourced from the Toyota dealer? How many miles did you travel during that period?

#4 Patrick Wong, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used olathetoyota there very good once there was a part number discrepant and a parts guy from there actually called me to discuss it.
    Whatever you do don't use RockAuto they used to be great but I have the worst luck with them. I recently bought some calipers for my Crown Vic expensive oem Motorcraft ones and one of the calipers shipped to me was a core return from someone. It had brake fluid leaking through the box when they delivered it. Pissed.

Your much better off buying oem for most Prius parts. I try to get the part number off a toyota online site and then quick search on ebay and amazon of that part number. Sometimes you will find that oem part real cheap. Must have the oem box though they can't forge that.

Good luck.

7. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a dealership in my state that offers parts 20% off so I mention that to my local place and they begrudgingly match it. Try haggling 15-20% from local parts departments, otherwise that's about the discount you can expect from online sellers.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota recently posted a complete Electronic Parts Catalog for the U.S. market on their own website, https://parts.toyota.com/. They don’t sell directly from that site, but it links to local dealers selling online. Aside from the parts counter in a Toyota or Lexus dealer, this is the most reliable way to find and buy genuine parts.
    Sadly, counterfeiters make not only fake parts, but also fake labels and packages; see this brochure from Toyota in Australia (PDF) for an example. I have no reason to believe the same thing isn’t happening in the U.S., too.
    There is considerable markup on most Toyota replacement parts. Dealers near me routinely advertise 33%-40% off the list prices on their websites, but they face vigorous competition here.

If the same part number is also used on Toyota vehicles sold in Japan, another source to consider is one of the exporting firms in Japan that delivers to the U.S. by Express Mail, sometimes at a lower total cost than buying the same part from a U.S. dealer. See my previous posting for more about this; to be shipped, the parts have to be small, lightweight, and harmless. The parts I’ve received from Japanese sellers have appeared to be genuine, but I’ve ordered mostly obscure items that wouldn’t be worth counterfeiting.

9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We get ours from an authorized dealer, Olathe Toyota ,they ship!