1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to buy "Prius Hood" for MDF?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by afeuer, Jul 1, 2006.

1. afeuer

afeuer New Member

Is it possible to buy a Prius Hood multi-function display shade without registering with either eBay or PayPal (which I do not wish to do so as to avoid additional spam)?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am registered with both eBay and PayPal and I get no spam from either of them.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jinshi @ Jul 1 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]279818[/snapback]</div>
    I do not get spam from either Ebay or Paypal, and the last is a very secure site for money transfers and /or transactions, Verisign approved. I 've being use it for the past 7 years with out any inconveniences and all consumer transactions are protected.
    You have to pay attention at how you fill up your "profile and elect not to receive merchandising offers"
    For example, you can dedicate a particular email address only for communications with these companies and filter out all other mails to trash can if necessary. You can sign up for free accounts with hotmail, gmail and so many others alike.
    Hope that thi's a usefull information. ;)

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Also you may have to watch out for emails supposedly from eBay or PayPal saying your account is bad and use the handy link provided to set it right. They always say "Dear Member" rather than your name, which is a tipoff. I haven't gotten any in a while, but they're come to me on my Yahoo account, which isn't what I use for either eBay or Paypal.

One problem with using a free account like Yahoo. My friend did and was asked for his credit card number because it was a free account. They may have changed, it was some years ago.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jinshi @ Jul 1 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]279818[/snapback]</div>
    Not that I know of, I haven't bought one either because I don't like eBay and I don't trust PayPal.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Robin RedBreast (Priushoods) used to post here. I don't know if she does anymore. But you might be able to contact her and buy direct.

I haven't had any problems with spam from eBay or Paypal. (But I wouldn't use IE on a PC.) But you do need to be careful of phishing. But you'll get that with any e-mail account eventually. You must be careful and diligent. I've had phishing for banks I have no account with.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you don't want to do eBay yourself, you can probably find a family member or coworker who would be happy to buy it for you and have you reimburse them. I do that for my family since some of them are computer illiterate.

Maybe Danny could work a deal with the seller to have these items sold on PriusChat??????

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The ONLY email I get from eBay is when I have placed a bid (I get an email confirmation) or won an auction (I get a notification). The ONLY email I get from PayPal is when I have made a payment through them (I get a confirmation.)

Yahoo does not ask for a credit card when you get a free email account. They do offer a variety of premium services, which you may need to use a credit card to pay for. And they want a credit card if you open a Yahoo Wallet (which, like PayPal, allows you to pay merchants without giving the merchant your card number). But a free email account does not require a credit card.

Both PayPal and Yahoo Wallet are at least as secure as (and probably more secure than) giving your card to a merchant (who could in theory keep a copy of the number).

One way to isolate your main account is to open a free checking account with a free debit card at a different bank. Keep only enough in that account to pay for your on-line purchases. But PayPal is as safe as any other bank.

As another poster noted: Do not trust ANY email that purports to come from eBay or PayPal other than a confirmation of a transaction you have conducted. They just don't send out any others, unless you've neglected to opt out of receiving "offers." But plenty of fraudsters spoof them to fish for personal information.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 1 2006, 11:31 PM) [snapback]280001[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Godiva I'll give it a try.

11. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 1 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]279937[/snapback]</div>

As a long time user of both EBAY and PayPal, both buying and selling, I can tell you that their systems are pretty much bullet proof.

In the 8+ years I have been using them I have only had a heard of a few minor issues.

1). Once someone "broke into" a friends EBAY id and bid on a few items. EBAY quickly identified that it was fraud and cancelled the bids.

2) We do occasionally get "spoof" emails claiming they are from PAYPAL or EBAY. They claim that the account has been frozen and you need to update your credit card information. However, both EBAY and PAYPAL are very clear that they never send out these types of emails, so I always delete them.

Otherwise we have done hundreds of transactions without a glitch.

My suggestion would be to contact the seller, and ask them if you can purchase the item from them outside of EBAY with a personal check or money order. As an EBAY seller, this is usually no problem, although I always notify the buyer that I am going to hold the item for at least 5-7 days to make sure that the check clears.

Goodluck!

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 2 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]280132[/snapback]</div>
    Note that eBay provides certain protections to the buyer, which you do not have if you bypass the eBay system. But many sellers will accept a check or money order. You do not have to use PayPal for most sellers, though it seems to be prefered. Sellers love me, because I pay through PayPal the moment I win an auction or click on a Buy-It-Now, and they have the PayPal confirmation that they have the money in nearly the same moment as the ebay notice that their item has sold.

There are a lot of scams out there, and a lot of ways to lose money on the internet, but PayPal is not among them.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 1 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]279959[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that there was a time when you opened an eBay account and used Yahoo as your addy, you got a request for your credit card because Yahoo is a free account. That may may have changed.