1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to go to get Codes Read - Plus mechanical sound repeats every 2 minutes

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Joe_88, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Joe_88

Joe_88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010, Gen III, 112K, the following lights turned on for me recently: BRAKE, ABS, Traction Control, and Brake System. I know next step is reading my codes, but are there any thoughts on these lights?

So I went to AutoZone to get codes read and their reader said no errors. Is there somewhere with free readings like autozone I can go to get the codes read free that is also Prius compliant? If not, what is my next (best and most economical) option?

Also everything else seems fine about the car, it drives and brakes normal. The only other thing is there is a repeating mechanical sound now every two seconds when idling or in READY or so behind the dash - sounds normal but way to frequent. Any ideas?

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A mini VCI with Techstream would be your cheapest option if you have an old laptop to install it to.

Joe_88 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, when the brake system is complaining, sometimes you don't want to wait for your old laptop and Techstream setup to be ready. The brake computer has a way of showing you abbreviated codes by flashing lights while you count, so you don't need any special tool. That can at least get you started on the way to safe brakes while you wait for your Techstream goodies to be delivered.

See (large numbers of PriusChat posts) for more detail on that.

Joe_88 and Skibob like this.
  4. Joe_88

Joe_88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you both for theses suggestions!!!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like your brake actuator. check with hometown hybrids, maybe they can steer you in the right direction

6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Being an AZ employee, I never attempted to read Prius or other hybrid codes with the “Fix Finder” tool they gave us. I used the “loan a tool” scanners. They were hybrid aware, at least at my store they were.

7. LEARNER

LEARNER Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the scan gauge for Advance Auto at least where I live works better on the Prius. Auto Zone here scan gauges won't read the Prius codes and you have to take back in the shop for them to give you the code. One rep said no codes but another told it won't work with the Prius FYI.

Now I use Pan Long Bluetooth OBD adapter (low cost from Amazon but works very well) and Dr. Prius (link on Dr Prius website) and some other apps and the Prius AC self diagnostic (Procedure below)

Press Auto AC button and Closed Circ on left and right side of steering wheel and hold and press power button twice or foot on brake and press power button once (while again holding those 2 buttons on steering wheel)

The last 2 digits will flash on the center display top middle (prefix for full code is B14)

You have turn car off and back on again for normal operation

Note AC code 21 is solar sensor and may present if out of the sun. Now I have a Gen 2 so not absolutely sure if this works on all Generations

There is youtube video on this if can't visualize instructions.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is convenient that there's an alternate method for reading A/C codes (at least it's convenient when codes from the A/C system are the ones you need). The same hold-two-buttons-while-powering-on method works for Gen 2 and Gen 3. The method for Gen 1 was a little different. I don't know about Gen 4.

In the same way, it's very good to keep in mind that several other systems in the car, like the brakes, skid control, and air bags, also have an alternate way you can read the codes, by counting blinks of the dash lights. That way, you are not dependent on any particular scan tool if you are in the middle of a trip and you get warning lights from an important system like the brakes.

The blink codes also give you two-digit versions of the DTCs, but there is not always a simple rule to convert them (like "put B14 in front" for the A/C codes). When there isn't, like for the brake codes, you just have to look them up in the tables in the repair manual (more info).

"ScanGauge" is the proper name of a specific little scan tool sold by Linear Logic, LLC. Last I knew, it would not show all Prius codes out of the box, but it can be programmed with additional "X-Gauges", and at least for some Prius generations those could include trouble codes from some of the car's ECUs.

LEARNER likes this.
  9. LEARNER

LEARNER Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Blink Codes now that is interesting. I was wondering if there were ways to read other codes within the Prius besides AC and that 12 volt battery check/screen check. Dr Prius will check engine codes and HV battery codes under Special features and clear them.

I haven't delved into Hybrid assistant much other than see 2 coolant temps and the auto HV fan feature.

Gonna look into Blink Codes......Thanks.