1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to grab power from for aftermarket GPS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by baboonia, Apr 4, 2008.

1. baboonia

baboonia New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I need to install an aftermarket GPS "tracking unit" somewhere in the Prius.

The unit is small, about 4x4x1 inch. It requires very little power, but needs to be close to the dash or rear hatch for antenna mounting (antenna goes behind glass on inside of vehicle).

The unit needs 3 electrical connections, ground, +12V all the time, and +12v when car is on.

Where is the easiest place to grab power from? I know the Cig plug is +12v when the car is on, but what about +12v all the time in the dash area?

Or, if I mount unit in back, where to grab hot and ign on power in the trunk area?

advice please...

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you mount it in the front you can grab "power always on" from the fusebox under the hood - the jumper terminal. Be sure to put an inline fuse as close to the jumper terminal as possible in your power wire. "Accessory power" is from the cig. lighter or from the aux. power in the console. Again, put in an inline fuse as close to the power pickoff connection as possible.

If you put it in the rear you will have to run the "accessory power" from the console back. I used a plastic loom and ran it beside the "hump" in the centre of the car (under the carpet). "Power always on" can be picked off the battery in the right rear. Again, put inline fuses in both lines as close to the power pickoff point as possible.