1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to mount your GPS in 2011 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by MacArthur, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    newbie here. Just got my 2011 Prius for 2 weeks. Love it, except couldn't figure out how to mount my Garmin GPS.

I did go through all the previous posts of similar topic, but couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Here are the reasons:

1) I want to mount my GPS HIGH, so that no need to move my sight away from road too much. I can't go with those "Cup-Holder Mount" or the ProClip mount aside the cup holder, which are way too low for me. Whenever you bend your head down to look at GPS, you are prone to accident.

2) Preferably mount on top of the dash, somewhere next to the MID. Used to have a Vent Mount. But the problem with 2011 Prius is that, the vent grill is too thick, and too deep. The old vent mount works great on my previous car just won't click on the 2011 Prius.

3) With the Gen III redesign, the dashboard layout is totally different to Gen II. I appreciate all of those who post their pictures of GPS mount solution, that should have been very helpful, unfortunately won't apply to Gen III dash. I just want to know how to mount it in a Gen III Prius.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've also tried with the suction cup mount, to fix it at the bottom of the windshield. Because of the aero-dynamic design of the contour of wind shield, it's so far away that I might need a binocular to see the GPS...

So suction cup mount is no use too... I guess...

3. zyx345

zyx345 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have heard of others suction cup mounting it to the small window between the drivers door and the windshield. Don't know if that would work for you?

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have my Ultraguage fixed to that side window with a flexible stalk. Works well.

I have a Navman for which i modified the mount using a strip of stainless steel and glued it to the dash with black gasket silicon sealer. The sealer rubs off easily when I need to move it.

6. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We got tired of having to stick the suction cup to the windshield on the other vehicles, only to have it constantly fall off. We got one of the bean bag style mounts (at Target) that just sits on the dash. We keep it sitting on the far left side of the dash. Easy to read and no where near the Prius gauges.

7. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

My recommendation is to go with proclip, if you are not doing a HU with GPS integrated.

This is how I had mine mounted on the A/C vent with proclip. It is a great spot.

[​IMG]

There is another proclip mount that goes directly above the A/C vent, this one would not obstruct the air flow.

Before proclip, I used to have that friction mount mentioned before, you can place it right above the dash behind the steering wheel (probably the best place), but the biggest down side is that is moves. Between the road bumpiness, the weight of the power cable and one touching it to select streets or view has that thing dancing all over the dash. Save yourself the $30 of the friction mount or the super obstructing suction cups and go proclip.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  8. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks SwaggingPrius -- this is what I'm worrying about the Friction Mount, that it might move around.

Suction cup to that tiny window? That's an interesting idea. I might give it a try and see how it look.

So far looks like the ProClip Center Mount (Item #: 854354) would be the best solution. SwaggingPrius, is this the one you are using right now?

Thanks to all of you who replied and shared ideas!

9. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably depends on what make and model of GPS unit you have, but Magellan has an adjustable arm with a suction cup that fits in the small window to the left of the driver-side dash. It's a little awkward getting it set up and adjusted the first time but it works well. RadioShack sells a beanbag type as well.

10. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there,
    here is what i use for the gps and phone. the vent are bigger than other cars so i had to remove the sliding clip and then it fit fine.I can swap between the two. I find myself using the phone to navigate more often because i can have the phone on the internet and get live traffic maps from google maps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've always used the window suction cup and never had any problems. Don't use the Garmin that much so would never want to permanently mount. Besides being an eyesore it's just welcoming theft.

12. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, that is the one on the picture, or #213470. This one does not block the vents.

They are both solid and will not move.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the Garmin beanbag and it doesn't move around at all. When I pull in at a stop, I pick it off the dash and put it under the seat, so there's no signs of a GPS anywhere.

14. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 2 of these that I use in my other cars. All of my cars have a Dashmat & it doesn't move around at all. I don't need it in my Prius since mine came with Nav already. That is also another option, you could get a Rosen nav in dash HU. I like it a lot more than the OEM nav in my Prius.

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is an old pic that post everytime a new thread starts asking were to mount your GPS. I have it in the same location but I hind the wires.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's where I keep my Garmin GPS:

Attached Files:

17. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks but guess I'll need lots of time to get used to looking down for direction then looking up for road... Only if I'm driving a helicopter... :D

18. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting... is this an aftermarket GPS? Is it something I can DIY? Or it's a project in workshop?

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The nuvi 2455/beanbag combo is more stable on the dash but it still slides around so I can't corner like I can without it.

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 person likes this.