1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to place floor jack and jackstands

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigEddie, Nov 10, 2013.

1. BigEddie

BigEddie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Seems like I have to crawl under the beast to change the downstream O2 sensor.
    The Haynes manual doesn't show where to raise the car using a regular floor jack or where to put jackstands.

Apparently, using 4 jackstands is a bit safer than just using 2.
    Should I just put them where the spare-tire jack goes - under the slots in the sill?
    And where do I place the floor jack to raise the front and then the rear of the car (a 1st gen, by the way). Or is better to try raising rear then front?

Much appreciate any advice before I start tomorrow.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes

To raise the front of the car, I use a hydraulic floor jack with a 2 ft length of 2x4 in the saddle to spread the load, and jack the car near the spare-tire jacking point, but far enough away so there is room to place the jackstand.

To raise the rear of the car, use the "tower" that sticks down at the rear center of the car. That will raise up both sides of the rear at the same time. (If Classic does not have this tower, raise up the rear of the car the same as the front.)

It doesn't matter whether you raise the front of the car first, or the rear.

3. BigEddie

BigEddie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Patrick,
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to be clear - for the front, you jack one side up (with a 2' 2x4 under the sill, running the length of the car), place jackstand. Then the other side?

(Thinking to self, there's no real advantage then to using the big awkward floor jack (I've got limited room in the garage) - might carefully use the emergency spare-tire jack when raising the front of the car.)

I'm re-thinking this - maybe I could just raise up the front, place jackstands and crawl under. (Using the 2 spare jackstands as a precaution, next to the supporting jackstands).

Thanks!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, one side at a time.

Up to you. The scissors jack provided with the car is not very easy to use.

Yes, you could just raise up the front of the car with two jackstands. I don't think you need to worry much if the tires are left on the vehicle. My practice is to leave the hydraulic jack raised on the side of the car that I will be nearer, as my safety precaution.

5. BigEddie

BigEddie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Patrick,
    It worked a treat!
    Thanks for posting.