1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to post about Gen 1 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Homeinpdx, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Homeinpdx

Homeinpdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a question about my 2002 Prius, but I don't see a Gen 1 forum. I'll put the question below and hopefully get advice or answers.

---

I bought a used first generation Prius that had 160K miles on it. A gamble, I realize now, but I LOVE the car and thought it might be immortal. I'm reluctant to say it has been a lemon, but it has had several major breakdowns--one on the freeway. It flashed a scary-looking warning icon (see photo). A few minutes later the screen went dark and the car lost power. We had it towed to the dealer who diagnosed inverter water pump failure. This was a $500 fix. A few weeks later I got this code again and was told that the main battery is dead. The replacement cost (including labor) is about $3500.

So, I am faced with the tough choice of whether to replace the battery and try to eke more life out of this car. As it is, the cooling system is leaking and fixing it so that the AC works would be over $900. I would love to get a second gen Prius, but my budget is limited to about about $14K--which would put me in a vehicle with 80-100K miles--which would mean that I would be facing mid-life maintenance issues all over again. I have heard that second gen Priuses are more reliable, but I am very hesitant to buy another high mileage vehicle. Any ideas? Any experience with replacing the first gen Prius batter? Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What mileage are you getting on your Prius1? Thanx

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I dont know where you get $14k will get you an 80-100k mile Prius at?? In September, I bought my 2007 Level 5 (navigation, bluetooth, etc) with 53,000 miles for $13k even. And thats the going rate from what my research shows (actually there are several cheaper in my area now).

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, what is you DIY capability/comfort level? The hybrid battery can be fixed DIY. There are several options.
    1) find out which cell(s) is/are bad and replace (this is the cheapest options (about $40 to $100)
    2) DIY replacement of your pack w/ a used gen I pack from a salvage yard ($600-$1400)
    3) DIY replacement of your pack with a rebuilt pack from ReInvolt ($1875 plus shipping)

None of these options are "hard" to do but do require a moderate degree of comfort with DIY repair.