1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to purchase replacement rear bumper cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jenayroux, May 25, 2008.

1. jenayroux

jenayroux New Member

My wonderful son backed-up into a trailor hitch and now I need a new bumper (bumper cover?). Where can I get the best deal to purchase - my darling son will install. Thanks for your help. :confused:

2. northwest

northwest New Member

Unless dear son has some experience with this, you probably don't want him to install it.

First, you can't order them painted. So, they have to BE painted, which is a large part of the cost if they get it done by a body shop. Unless you want son to do a "spray can special" in the driveway...

I guess you could try local wrecking/junk for one the same color. However, odds are it will be "off" a bit due to weathering.

If you really don't care that much, a junk yard would be the best bet, but they will still be expensive.

Also, even a minor bump can cause some "hidden" damage under the cover....will you know what to look for once the cover is off...

If all you need is the cover repaired, repainted, probably $800-1250 at a shop

3. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check eBay....you stand a decent chance of finding a used one in the correct color. eBay seller theonlinebodyshop sells new OEM bumper covers painted in the factory color of your choice ($429.99 + $95 shipping).
    [​IMG]

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can buy direct from Discount Toyota Parts (among others) but there are several parts to the rear bumper.
    [​IMG]

5. dal

dal New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :( A young lady late for her high school softball practice managed to mess mine up.

The rear bumper cover costs about $230 and is huge. I have seen it online for $170 or so. Shipping is very expensive, so chances are you will not do any better than your local stealer, once you consider the shipping charges.

The rear energy absorber (foam thingy that, well, absorbs crash energy) should be replaced, too. It costs about $45 online, and is not oversized.

I had a couple of quotes from body shops. To do the full job = buy new cover, buy new energy absorber, paint to match, and install everything. They all ran around $600, so it works out to be about $300 for the paint and labor.

$1200 for this job is WAY high.

P.S. The Prius applique that many stealers applied to the rear bumper (and charged for) costs about $65 to buy new. There is no reason to put one on your new bumper unless you really like it. The prices I got are without the applique.

6. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you go the junkyard route, try car-part.com It links to thousands of salvage yards all over the continental US and Canada. My son did the same thing with a concrete post and I am looking now too for a cover, foam, metal reinforcement and dr. side mounting clip........ Yeah, he did a good job! It is back together, but it has a crease almost in the middle... as it was a square post.:rolleyes:

7. sierra44

sierra44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I fixed mine myself & quite easily. I removed the bumper "skin" by undoing all the clips and screws. Then I heated up the smashed part with a hair blow dryer. Then I pressed it back into shape with the bare heel of my foot on my front lawn. Put the thing back on the car and it looks, not perfect, but very acceptable!

PointCounterPt likes this.