1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to put the ipod if I wire it in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rerstad, Oct 4, 2004.

1. rerstad

rerstad New Member

OK, I've got an ipod and I've got a Prius. I've been looking at all the options for connecting the ipod to the sound system, but I'd like to be able to put the ipod somewhere accessible but out of the way if I put in these wires--I dont want to have permanent wires running out from under the dash and then have to have the ipod in the cupholder forever. I currently use iTrip with the ipod in the center console and like that, except that I have to manually turn the ipod off and on and I have to dig it out to change tracks.

Is it possible to run the connection cord into the center console so I could hook up the ipod in there? Or could I have the wire in the little storage box area under the radio (I don't have the CD changer)? Either way I could connect the ipod, tuck it away and have it out of sight.

I haven't pulled the dash apart enough to know, but for those of you who have gone through the install, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm hoping that the console storage will become the home for my iPod, but I'm not progressing on the project until the iPod is in my hands...

3. brettray

brettray New Member

For my cell phone I ordered a dash mat and attached a holster to the mat. This allows to phone to be well placed (just to the left of the steering wheel) for easy visibility and dialing access. It also does no Permanent damage to the dash. If you want to see the display on the Ipod while the music is playing (for song title, etc) this might be a technique to consider. You would have to get one of the dash mats that come down the front a little.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Security concerns will keep my iPod out-of-sight. I'm planning on mostly random playing...