1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to route wires out of center console?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by JJB, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JJB

JJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just mounted a proclip phone holder to the right of my shifter.

Anyone with an Evo 4G knows battery life is terrible, so I want to keep it plugged in when I'm driving. The problem is that I don't see a clean way to route a cable from the lighter outlet in the center console to the pro clip holder.

Has anyone figured out a good way, without butchering the arm rest, to get a thin cable out of there?

2. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am waiting on my Proclip for my Droid2. You can tap into the hot wire in the 12V outlet under the center console. It looks like you and take a thin flat blade screwdriver and pry up the whole unit. Just t-tap into the hot and the ground. take a phone charger for the car and solder the new hot to the tip of the 12v male end and solder the ground to the side metal ground. tape up the whole thing and then stick it in the opening. route the wiring up the to where the phone mount is and drill a small hole for the wire. You will just pull up on the center console to remove it. You will see that it has A LOT of room for the wiring. You may think I am crazy, but by doing it this way you retain the fuse for the charger as part of the install.

3. JJB

JJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not a bad idea. I considered plugging in under the console, but didn't want the exposed wires. I'll take a look behind the panel this weekend. Thanks!

4. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just finished this install. If you don't want to drill any holes there is an opening into the center console in the cupholder (front edge, just below the lip). That is where I ran my phone plug out. It even faces the right direction. I pushed the male end of the plug in the space between the dash and the GPS and ran the power cord down the right side in the console.
    The down side is you cannot close the cupholder door if the power cord is connected to the phone. You will have to disconnect the phone and drop the power cord into the cupholder. It can get a little goofy if the cord is not all the way down, as the cupholder door has very little clearance as it swings closed.
    I am very happy with the install.