1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to sell good original Catalytic converter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, May 24, 2023.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    *GOOD. The post should say “good” not “food”
    I’ve noticed no one wants to answer this question outright, probably in fear that the info will be missused or perpetuate the already prolific thefts that plague these cars.

but I’ve got my wrecked 2005 that someone wants to buy for 800$ but I know the cats alone are worth more so where do criminals sell these things? I’m assuming scrap yards that only pay 259$ or something.
    Private message me if anyone has any answers to where I should look and how to do it.

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Catalytic converters may be valuable, but they aren't valuable enough to eat... But maybe if you add enough ketchup?

But more to the point, lots of states have chain of custody laws on reselling cats now. Perhaps try these folks: rrcats.com

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try a metal recycling yard, or maybe ebay in california

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Private recycling yards but I think the bottoms kind of falling out on this is have to call around to scrap metal places Tell them what you got original documented the sticker or weld on tag is still on it etc

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fixed the title

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These are still going for $800+ on ebay. With yours being a complete assembly, you could probably squeeze a bit more out of it.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our most generous metal recycling businesses in our region are all mostly in jail because they could't turn down amount of cash they could get during peak cat theft era of early 2020's. That's bad news for metal recycling in general.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A bunch of them here have been hauled into question. Most of them went right back to their businesses the big business around here is FOSS recycling one of them anyway and they have had employees and whatnot I think drug down to the courthouse and questioned and all that nonsense. For the most part the recycled metal yard that's a real stretch until the government or the legislature or the business community requires more stringent reporting and recording kind of like gun licensing for stolen metal pieces from cars now well it's kind of hard to put it on them you know unless you have the same person coming in 300 times a week red flag hello it's kind of tough If I send a different employee in every day with three catalytic converters and they don't see the same employee again for let's say 8 days because I've got enough employees it's going to be pretty tough for them to be arresting somebody for stolen catalytic converters kind of sort of seems. But very creative district attorneys and criminal justice systems and given towns they come up with ways to skirt some of these issues and just round up folks according to their business metal recycling in other words Not as many people have been really caught up in this as we think The big players they know how to get out of this nonsense it's not a big problem to them they pay some money at the courthouse and they're finished It's the lowly drug addicts who stole the saws all yesterday from home Depot and got him a few tools and her running around getting their pictures posted on the Facebook marketplace being made famous those are the little people that are getting popped for the most part there have been a few big guys don't get me wrong but most of them are sitting okay.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good point, might as well just sell it as a used auto part on eBay. No need to settle for what the recyclers pay for it as a hunk of metal.

Also: make sure your car buyer is cool with it. There's a chance their offer was predicated on getting a valuable catalyst.