1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to tap into speaker wires for amp?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SamelCamel, Jun 1, 2012.

1. SamelCamel

SamelCamel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know I saw it on here somewhere, but can't find it now. I need to tap into the stock wiring coming from the headunit, but I don't want to tap in directly behind the headunit. Someone had a wiring diagram posted showing that you could tap into the wiring for the speakers in the driver's side kick panel. Is this correct?

I have a 2012 Prius III with navigation. I believe the diagram was for a previous year, but I think the wiring is the same.

Please let me know ASAP so I can install my line level converter.

Thank you!

Sam

2. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I added a powered sub under the driver seat. The sub came wired with L and R tap wires. I removed the cover between the doors (search site or Google), used "T taps" from O'Rielly auto parts, and taped/spliced the wires into the rear speaker wires - you do not need to strip the wires. Don't recall the color, you can Google or search this site. The speaker wires are easily accessible, and are bundled with some other wires, wrapped with a cloth tape. The wiring color is the same for all recent Prius.

3. Correllaaron

Correllaaron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From my understanding, the driver's side kick panel only houses the speaker leads for the front, driver's side main and tweeter (they are wired in parallel).

Just curious, why don't you want to tap into the speaker cables behind the head unit?

4. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm about to do a similar project. I ordered a Kenwood KAC 5206 2-channel amp to power my front Polk DB651s off the factory non-JBL navigation headunit. I will use speaker high level input wires instead of RCAs. I will install/mount the amp in the rear cargo area.

What path do you recommend running the speaker wires from the HU and from the amp back to the HU? I'll obviously need to run two pairs. For now my plan is to go directly to the back of the HU and down the passenger side of the vehicle. Will the wires come across any noise interference with any high voltage lines? Do you guys recommend another efficient route to access the front door speaker inputs? I'll obviously need to snip the factory wires to go TO the amp and from the amp back to the door speakers. I'm guessing the back of the HU is the most logical place.

Also which harness on the back of the HU is the one with the speaker wires? I already found a diagram which identifies colors. But I want to make sure i access the correct harness.

5. Zuko89

Zuko89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did it today,[​IMG]

This is the right side, there is a connector with red and White wire, you can release that.
    On the left side there is a connector with multipele wires, but you need the yelow Black one.

6. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^ you mean the speaker harness is on the right side? (Passenger side)

7. Zuko89

Zuko89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Passenger side speaker cables for the right side, and right rear is red/White, left side Black/yellow is on the left. Ik cut this wires for the high low converter and the cables in the harness to the back.