1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to tie in seat heater power?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Virodeath, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Had leather package installed along with seat heaters but the trim shop had never worked on a Prius and was leery of trying to tap into the electrical system. They left my connections under the dash on the driver side.

Can someone recommend where I can tie these into for power? Both seat heaters have in-line fuse on them.

Thanks!

Viro

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Wish I had pics and/or wire colors for ya...but for mine (well, my sig other's!) I used a multi-meter and tapped into an ACC wire in each of the kick panels. Large gauge (14-16?) from a bundle of about five wires. Fused is good! No probs, 2 years later.

In my Prius, I've used these same set of wires for power lumbar. Good luck!

Darelldd may have pics here: http://www.evnut.com/ Look for Prius mods.

3. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Oct 9 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]523092[/snapback]</div>
    So is the wire you connected to hot all the time or only when the car is on?

Viro

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    it's powered only when the car is on, just like the power outlets at the bottom right dash and inside the center console.

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Virodeath @ Oct 8 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]522930[/snapback]</div>
    If you want the seat to heat up quickly, I would suggest tapping in to the traction battery.

http://www.priups.com/

can help you out with where to tap into the traction battery.

6. bobc

bobc New Member

You'll want to check out the seat heater wiring diagram first. Chances are there are three wires that need to be connected:

The ground (Most likely colored black)
    A wire that the seat elements get their power from,
    A wire that tells the heater control that the car is off.

The second wire is usually connected so that it has constant power (Still receiving power even though the car is off).

The third wire is tied to something that shuts off when the car is shut off (Also known as ACC power).

For a very clean install, I wired the second and third wires right into unused pin slots in the junction box under the driver's side dash and put fuses in the empty slots that corresponded to these pins.

Here's a detailed thread with more info: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...amp;hl=fuse+box

Cheers,

7. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ Oct 10 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]523908[/snapback]</div>

Sweet, thanks guys for the help. I will be working on this this weekend.

Viro