1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where would you like to see a plug to charge a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 1davide, Aug 12, 2006.

1. 1davide

1davide New Member

As a Prius owner and user, if you had a plug-in version, where on the Prius would you like to have the plug?
    Front, right side, rear?
    At what height?
    Any particular location?

Would you prefer to see just a bulk-mounted male connector (to which you plug a power cord), or would you prefer a retracting cord (that you pull to the wall outlet)?

Would you be concerned about vandals or plain old "pokers"?

How little or how extensive a modification to your Prius' body would you like to see, in order to accommodate a plug?

This page has pictures of a few ways that this has been accomplished so far:
    http://hybrids-plus.com/ht/research.html

Thanks!
    D'de

2. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davide Andrea @ Aug 12 2006, 07:46 AM) [snapback]302107[/snapback]</div>
    I would like a door similar to the gas fuel door to cover a pull-out cord. If all I ever do to recharge is plug it into my house, then just give me a locing door over male plug and I will run my own large extension to it.

What I had on the motorhome is what I am thinking. It was a locked door, with just a socket for 117VAC/50A, 60Hz hotel power.

I have access to a 220VAC/60Hz 30A for my dryer and another 117VAC/50A for motorhome style hotel power as well, so either would work for me (and I would have additional outlets installed if necessary.)

I wonder about charging the battery in the garage, though. Propane water heater, etc.

I am sure that Darrell and others have worked this out, so with proper venting it should be safe.

*8******8***********8**

Headline:

"Dateline: Rural California- A large conflagration that incinerated 400 acres of back country was started by a propane tank explosion after the spark from an unattended Prius caused a water heater line to ignite. The resulting fire in turn exploded the 250 gallon tank of home propane (typical and prevalent in this area) to further ignite others in the area.

As the fire began after dark, the occupants were only able to run in to their back yard with just the clothing they had on. Ramona Air Attack was unable to get airborne due to State and Federal prohibitions against night flying, and the lack of firebreak roads, limited by environmental concerns. Although 500 houses and 3 people died as a result, no endangered species were injured."

3. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Aug 12 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]302116[/snapback]</div>
    I'd prefer the plug in the front, since I can pull into a spot with more accuracy than I can pull out. The pull-out cord sounds nice: it would make field-charging easier.

Of course, I'll continue to daydream about hot pickups under the front frame, so I can just pull forward onto the charging contacts.

------------------------
    Here in Washington, I don't think we call it "rural" or "backcountry" anymore when we put 500 houses on 400 acres. Of course, if they really want to stay in areas that are *supposed* to burn every few years, maybe they could backpack in and stay in a tent.

cheers
    Bob

4. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

I like energy the best but suspect because of the type of bumper it may be vulnerable to hits so my next choice is on the back trunk lid.

5. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Aug 12 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]302116[/snapback]</div>
    This was my first thought too. My second thought was I'd prefer it on the front of the car. That seems like the shortest and most convenient route to an outlet, whether at home or at a public charging station in a parking space.

I don't like any of the ways the retrofitters are accomplishing this. But I appreciate that they're locating the plug where it's closest to the battery. It also seems intended to publicize that the cars are plug-in, which is a good thing in itself.

Wherever it is, I prefer it covered, integrated into the lines of the car and relatively discreet.

6. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I would not want to see a plug at all. Why not be able to charge inductively? Just have a device on the floor of your garage and when you pull the car over it then it would start charging. That way you don't risk driving the car out while it is still connected. Could also have a portable inductive charger to use remotely.

7. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Aug 13 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]302552[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds interesting. EV1 and RAV4 use inductive chargers with paddles. But in both cases you need contact between the paddle and car. Seems hard to accomplish by driving over, and I want to keep the EMF as low as possible. Plus I got no garage. :(

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about two plugs; one to the car, and one from the car?

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd like it in the back.

I like the little plug with a flap setup I saw in "Who Killed the Electric Car" when they were talking about the converted Prius. If not that, then a paddle set up as described above.

10. 1davide

1davide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]302600[/snapback]</div>
    I just saw the movie, but I don't remember seeing such a flap. Can you describe it better? Thanks.
    (That was EnegyCS.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 13 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]302588[/snapback]</div>
    Please explain...
    Do you mean using the Prius as a UPS?
    Thanks

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like the plug in the packs themselves, so they can charge in
    the house where they're much safer and then be loaded into the car
    in the quantity needed for expected trip duration the next day.
    _H*

12. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I prefer to have covered male sockets in BOTH the front and the back so I have the option of using either one.

I also prefer that the covers to these sockets can only be opened when I have the SKS in proximity (or the physical key as a backup).

The sockets should accept standard 115VAC 60Hz power through standard off-the shelf extension cords (male-sockets).

Lastly, there should be a retractible cord assembly included in the trunk kit for use at remote locations.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Aug 13 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]302759[/snapback]</div>

Oh, I like this. Although I'm okay with just a rubber cover that securely covers the plug tightly so it's watertight. Not all of us have SKS. Unless they plan on making that standard on all models.

14. trillium

trillium New Member

<never mind>

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davide Andrea @ Aug 13 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]302639[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. In addition to the plug that will charge the batteries from the grid, I thought another would be handy to run things from the car during power outages or picnics and camping trips. A 'fuel filler' door on the other side of the car covering both the 'innie' and 'outie' plugs would be very handy.

16. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My car already has a plug similar to the energy cs one. Marinco charging outlet.

Mounted mine in bumper near center where the existing wire holes can be used. Currently goes to my elecric cabing heater and engine block heat. Someday I hope to plug in a battery too.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 14 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]302883[/snapback]</div>
    Oooo, I really like that too. Make photovoltaic much more attractive for both charging and if the grid should go down, powering my house. I love it!

18. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davide Andrea @ Aug 12 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]302107[/snapback]</div>
    A door in the lower grille in the front bumper, with a retractable cord.

The advantages:
    No need for a cord wherever you plug in
    Plenty of room in that area for a retractor
    Body mods made to a single, relatively cheap, panel. Easily reversible by ordering a new one (or include one with the kit, so the owner can store the original).

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Aug 13 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]302544[/snapback]</div>
    I want it where that cover is in the front bumper. That's where I point when people ask, "Where do you plug it in?" :p

P.S. It would be more honest if I say that's where I'd point if they ask. The only question people ask me is "How much would it cost to replace the battery? $5,000 right?"

20. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in a townhouse condo comples without garages. I have no idea how 'they' could make a plug-in car that would work for me or for apartment dwellers. Anyone have any ideas for that, besides the concept of having removable batteries to recharge inside?