1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where would you mount a custom grille guard?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KadMills, Jul 13, 2024 at 12:41 AM.

1. KadMills

KadMills New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I fixed a 2007 RAV4 for a welder friend of mine.

He was in desperate need of a car. The owner was getting rid of it.

I made the deal happen for cheap and got it perfect again.

He asked what I wanted in return. I told him a crazy idea and he said yes.

IMG_3901.jpeg

We are designing a full blown custom brush guard. Not a crappy truck one that looks like it doesn’t fit.

A form fitting, headlight wrap-around, Gen 2 Prius brush guard.

I have a Prius Off-road skid plate on order so that makes mounting more complicated.

Where should we mount the brush guard to the frame to provide adequate protection to the front end/radiator/drivetrain in the event of large road debris?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well when I look at police cars and other vehicles with these things properly mounted it looks like they're they're going under the front end of the car pass all the silly plastics and are being welded or bolted to where the engine mounts a lot of times are bolted to do on a regular car or the front frame rails maybe you call them and when they do this they're using special bolts through bolts plates fasteners reinforcement business I'm sure you're well aware of this unless you're willing to carefully open up the frame members and try and make something that can slide inside and all this and that which probably wouldn't really be recommended the way they're bolted on police cars and vehicles like that is probably going to be the mounting of choice more than likely. And that should hold up reasonably well I you know depending upon the diameter of the tubing and how it's assembled and whether it's slipped together or butt welded and all kinds of different things will determine how strong it is and what it will take. Corollas Prius Camrys aren't generally known for their strong front ends I mean you're taking a car that's been lightened for gas mileage and strengthened in certain places for other things and all that and well there you go but it'll at least look cool and provide some protection along fence lines and things like that My regular front end is done very well on the work vehicle driving through reasonably tall brush sometimes at the end of the day I have to pull long stems of greenery from under the car but it's not anything damaging a lot of times it'll blast off with water spray.

3. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd put it for show. The front end is crap plastic so I can't honestly see that you're going to protect anything.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice Work... Great design!

Sure would be cool to come up with something like this for a Gen2 Prius in a way that compliments its shape rather than distracts from it.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Me thinks that's what they're working on hence why they're trying to figure out where to mount it to I figured it have to come around go under the front end of the car and somehow get tweaked to the inner frame rails something mounted to some solid steel somewhat solid unit construction

6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius has no frame, there really isn't a good place to attach something like that. But going back to the police cars, the Ford Explorer police vehicle is also unibody and they found some way to attach on those. Try asking in Ford forums, or find out where the local police take their vehicles for service and ask that shop. Maybe if you ask really nice they will let you come in and look under the police car to see for yourself.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh they will most police officers are very happy to show off whatever it is that they're driving and I would venture to say you could probably go and look on these custom fabrication sites that make these what do they call these things on the front cow catcher grills I am sure there are numerous companies rhino and whatnot that make these things and will show you advanced and detail pictures of how it's going to have to go on Ford escapes and especially vehicles that are used by police and recovery and all of that not for a Prius per se but it give you some ideas to see how the mounting is done on frame rails and unit construction which is what the Prius and most vehicles we're dealing with here are.