1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where's the energy coming from?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have noted that the windows go up very slowly in the Ig-on mode but they rise much faster in the Ready mode. Can I assume that in the first mode the energy is coming from the auxiliary battery and in the second it's coming from the main battery? I suspect that my auxiliary battery is weak and this could be evidence to use for arguing with the dealer. :wink:

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, your right.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Ignition on aux battery voltage is probably in the order of 12.4-12.7 volts and in the Ready position the voltage is in the order of 13.8-14.2 volts as such the electric window motor runs about 15-20% faster. The battery is charged from the Inverter/Converter under the hood. Inverter converts A/C to D/C and the converter drops it from 200-500 volts depending on generator (MG1) and or vehicle speed, to about 14 volts to charge the aux battery.

4. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a question: How much energy is captured during Regenerative Braking? Like 20%?

5. jchu

jchu New Member

I've heard more like 30-34% of the kinetic energy is converted back to electrical current but there are real experts on PriusChat and maybe the moderators will delete this in favor of a more definitive answer and I won't be embarassed in perpetuity when they supply the real answer. But until then... :oops:

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've heard upwards of 60 amps max regen. Not able to confirm it but have see it mentioned several times. Might be less or more on the 2k4 but the infromation I have is on the Classic.