1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where's the fusebox?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomegan, Feb 11, 2007.

1. tomegan

tomegan New Member

The fuse has blown for my "Power Accessory" cigarette lighter thing near the bottom of the glove box. My manual shows the fuse to be in the fusebox under the steering wheel somewhere. I'll be darned if I see a fusebox in that location.

Anyone know where I can find that fuse? Thanks. 2007 Prius Touring model

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Open the driver's door and see if there is a removeable panel on the side of the dash thus exposed. That's where it is in my 2001 Prius.

jjmerp likes this.
  3. saechaka

saechaka Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TFE @ Feb 11 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]388414[/snapback]</div>

i also did the same thing. i checked out the fuse box in the engine compartment and absolutely have no clue which fuse it is. hopefully someone can chime in and tell us which one it is and how to pull that darn fuse out easily.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Feb 11 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]388469[/snapback]</div>
    under the dash left side of the steering colum and it's covered with a plastic cover with a fuse map on the inside of it.

5. tomegan

tomegan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Feb 11 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]388520[/snapback]</div>

With the aid of a strong flashlight and a mirror, I was finally able to locate the fusebox. (Directly above the emergency brake / release pedal) Getting to it is another story, indeed. Unless you are a contortionist or about 5 years old, it's about impossible to pull out and replace a fuse from this location. What was Toyota thinking?

Lordy... Lordy. My back will never be the same!

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TFE @ Feb 11 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]388596[/snapback]</div>
    what ever you do, don't become a mechanic. That fuse box is easy!

DonDNH likes this.
  7. tomegan

tomegan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Feb 11 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]388713[/snapback]</div>
    Guess I'm just getting too old and too big, then. I can't recall ever having problems replacing a fuse before on any of my previous vehicles - until now. The fusebox under the hood - now that is what I call easy. But not that one under the dash. No worry... I don't plan on becomung a mechanic at this stage of my life.

8. robflott

robflott New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, that was the toughest fuse replacement I've ever encountered. I don't know if Toyota could ever find a better hiding place!

9. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I said time and again, designers should be required to be mechanics first. Then and only then will designs allow owners to work on them more easily.
    Really, think about it, why does a fuse box need to be inaccessible? Makes no reasonable sense at all.
    The few penny's saved on wire didn't aid the consumer, only the CEO coffers.

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Designers (engineers) could design a car that would be easier to maintain. But if it would make it more expensive would the company do that? And yes I have cursed many times when there is something in a way that it makes some small job super hard.

But I don’t really get why you are complaining about the fuse box location. You don’t need to remove any panels to access it and all the fuses are in full view. So that’s good position for inside fuse box.

11. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, easy is opening the glove box and changing a fuse from the comfort of the passenger seat. It's been done , don't anybody tell me it can't still be done even cheaper than the other asinine way, without being a contortionist. I mean really, cmon...think about it. My god the 70s dodge trucks had glove box fuse box. And when it didn't start, it was usually that stupid ceramic resistor on the firewall, hehe. They are all built to bust , and try to get you back to the dealer. Half the crap on vehicles is there because of attorneys and the EPA. ( environmental pollutants agency). The really disgusting situation is the stealer that doesn't know how to fix its own products, but knows all about "'creative'"billing.
    Rant over.... for now

12. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But
    To pull those tiny fuses easily, look for a little white tweezers in the fusebox under the hood, hehe. Yes tweezers ! You may also find a 30 and 15 spare fuse ! Wow, if you look real closely. Putting fuses back in with it may be more of a challenge. Get extra fuses assortment at your auto parts store. Using a mirror is not a bad idea and a good suggestion.