1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where's the Hybrid Sys. dipstick???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ggarman, May 15, 2005.

1. ggarman

ggarman Junior Member

I can't seem to find a way to check/fill the hybrid system/transaxle. The manual is so kind to tell me how much fluid to put in, it just neglects to say how. :)

Since, I bought both my 03' cars used, I really want to check the fluid levels and make sure everythings ok. I've looked everywhere around the hybrid system from the top, haven't gotten under the car much yet, so it could be under there on the back side of the unit I guess.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There is not a dipstick for the transaxle. There are two plugs: fill and drain, much like you would have on a manual transmission. Since there isn't a torque converter or hydraulic control lines like on a typical automatic transmission, Toyota treated it like a manual transmission/differential except there's no changing of gears.

3. ggarman

ggarman Junior Member

ah, so you check it by seeing if the fluid level is even with the fill plug?

Thanks,
    Greg

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yup, that would do it. Doesn't seem you need to check often though, unless you see leaks on your garage floor.

5. ggarman

ggarman Junior Member

True, I haven't had a whole lot of time yet to crawl around underneath the cars, but the pans look dry.

Never hurts to check though :)

Thanks for the info

Greg