1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where's the Love?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

"Once, in English class, the teacher had the students read aloud, and when it was Cho's turn, he just looked down in silence, Davids recalled. Finally, after the teacher threatened him with an F for participation, Cho started to read in a strange, deep voice that sounded "like he had something in his mouth," Davids said.

"As soon as he started reading, the whole class started laughing and pointing and saying, `Go back to China,'" Davids said."

Yup, we all sit there, fire Imus for his "hate speech" because society, as a whole, doesn't tolerate that sort of thing, we're taught from day 1 to be kind, acceptable human beings, where bad behavior is frowned upon, being "good" to others is what's truly "valued", yet that all goes out the window without thought in situations as such. Why is that? Why do so many kids toss socially acceptable behavior out the window? What happened to all that parental guidance, and social engineering from day 1 at nursery school? What about all those people on PC that don't hesitate to whip out personal attacks, and we're ADULTS!!! lol

Bunch of people have brought up how CNN should have buried Cho's tirade footage, how it's going to lead to future rampages blah, blah, blah. I'd say, crap like THIS, has FAR more impact on future rampages, than broadcasting Cho's tirade....

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If Cho didn't get to see the Columbine kids' complete video collection, how'd he make such a evil one himself?

Oh, wait, some people CAN do it with limited help. It must be the slacker-psychos they are afraid will see bad videos and emulate them.

Kids have been mean forever. Methods of payback have improved to the point where somebody has to worry about it...

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Kids are cruel, no doubt about it.

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Apr 19 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]426233[/snapback]</div>
    You can't be serious?

Ok, then how did the Columbine kids complete the video collection???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]426235[/snapback]</div>
    but wait, our parents tell us to be nice, our teachers tell us to be nice, then how come we're not??

5. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 19 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]426243[/snapback]</div>
    It's easy to be "nice" when we are shiny happy people ourselves. It's a lot harder when we've been bumped by bad experiences, especially if mental illness is present. That takes a strength many don't possess.

I've been convinced for a long time that we're still basically cavemen...technology aside, that reptilian brain is still there. How we handle the reptile varies from person to person, and some of us are just born "wrong."

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Funny you should mention that... i just stumbled across this article last week:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17888475/site/newsweek/

It basically says that there's a lot of pre-processing by old reptilian parts of our brain before we actually get to the parts that are "human"

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just goes to show what happens when a foreigner is corrupted by American violence.

8. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]426283[/snapback]</div>
    There you go again.. blaming America.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey Squid, where you been?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(screaming red @ Apr 19 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]426266[/snapback]</div>
    The old "nature vs. nurture" question has not been settled, but it's probably a complex combination. I highly doubt it's as simple as "some of us are just born wrong." We're all born slightly different, but mostly the same, and then we all have different experiences, different parents, different environments, etc.

We'll never prevent this kind of thing, no matter what we do. But the more we can learn to understand the real causes of anti-social behavior, the more we'll be able to reduce the number of incidents.

Squid has a valid point here:

People are cruel to each other, and that cruelty breeds tremendous anger and despair. Sometimes it comes out in depression or eating disorders or suicide. Sometimes it comes out in acts of violent rage. Saying this does not excuse the act. But it points to where we can begin to try to prevent future acts of this sort.

The tragic thing is that the victims are rarely the thoughtless individuals who drove the sicko-o to rage.

10. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 19 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]426418[/snapback]</div>
    yah, that's a real tragedy alright. Too bad Cho couldn't have rounded up those kids who made the comments in English class and shot them instead--I mean, hey they deserved it, right? they drove him to rage? aren't they equally to blame for what he did? even more, isn't society to blame? Hell, aren't we ALL to blame for what happened at Virginia Tech?

especially President Bush! :rolleyes:

if this Cho b**tard hadn't had the slight decency to shoot his own sorry nice person at the end, how many anti-death penalty advocates would he have had protesting against the justice he so richly deserved after he was tried and convicted of 32 or more counts of manslaughter, if not murder?

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 19 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]426418[/snapback]</div>
    Simply away from PC... However, lately, a lot of hot button topics have arisen, and, admittedly, I couldn't help myself, and had to make a comeback.

Although I am increasingly getting bored of angry arguments. :mellow:

12. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tonight at a Big K store I witnessed a man go berserk with anger at the clerks when a price discrepancy didn't go his way. The situation got very tense, he screamed repeatedly at the employee and I felt like if he had a gun in his coat, he could have pulled it out and used it on all of us.

But the most disturbing part of all was that his very sweet granddaughter who appeared to be about 5 was sitting in the buggy with tears in her eyes saying "no, Papa, no" over and over again. Even at that young age, she knew this wasn't appropriate behavior. Where IS the love?

13. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Apr 19 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]426527[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, see, that's someone with a problem. There isn't anything that should piss you off that much at a retail store...

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Apr 19 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]426527[/snapback]</div>
    This is the most depressing post I have ever read. The girl is obviously intelligent and sensitive, yet when she grows up after living all her life with that a-hole will probably become just another a-hole, too.

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Funny in the 70s to mid 80s we would beat the crap out of each other then become friends afterwards.... Now its become you made fun of me so now im gonna CAP or stick yo AZZ. Like they do in GTA baby.. :rolleyes:

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 19 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]426243[/snapback]</div>
    Sure am...

It's called 'genius'. Eric and Dylan stood on the shoulders of previous psychos and did them one better. The videos they shot are still unavailable for public viewing because they might be copy-catted. Prior restraint can apparently only be justified in certain non-fiction cases.

Cho's video is already embargoed on TV to avoid having someone emulate HIM. The local NBC station made a big deal out of pointing out a lack of future showings.

Too bad there's no stopping the next genius psycho capable of extrapolating off the general idea of mass revenge, videos seen or not. See, genius in a vacuum just looks better than genius built on previous ideas but if you get the job done sloppily people will still get hurt...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Apr 20 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]426790[/snapback]</div>
    I blame ground water contaminated by gasoline additives.

Became much more common after we stopped being kids...

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Apr 20 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]426932[/snapback]</div>
    I'd argue against genius. Pretty boring as a matter of fact, you basically have pissed off kids acting out in front of a camera, there's no "genius" in this. From what I've seen, it's quite tedious stuff. Personally, I would have made them far more darkly entertaining, such as blowing away mannequins of people they hate, or something of that sort... ...better yet, leave a better, more thought provoking message other than, "you did this to us" *yawn*. In addition to the mannequins, I would have done something like blame all the liberals in Prius Chat!

18. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 20 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]426949[/snapback]</div>
    "The liberals made me do it!" :lol:

The only thing liberals make me desire.. is that California breaks off or sinks or something...

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Apr 20 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]426790[/snapback]</div>
    I'd agree with that, except for the fact that the largest-ever school killing happened in 1927. And until the Blacksburg incident, the deadliest school killing occurred in 1966.

20. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're more likely to drown in a 5 gallon water bucket than die in a school shooting.

BAN BUCKETS!!