1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where's the Prius v Plug-in?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by kev12345, Sep 7, 2012.

1. kev12345

kev12345 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - Ron Ishii, senior field engineer for Toyota
    - Ed Larocque, national marketing manager for Toyota advanced technology vehicle.

Is the Prius Plug-in considered a success yet? Where is the V Plug-in? This is me demanding it... The Ford C-Max Energi cargo capacity isn't enough in my opinion.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not really, it's too early to tell. the question is, after the early adopters, the HOV users and the people who are near public or employer charging stations, will some small part of the car buying public give it consideration. probably take a year or two to get a good handle on it.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am betting the next redesign allows for the larger PHV battery pack. I wish they sold a Prius v PHV, but they do not even sell a Prius PHV in my state.

4. Craig Shelley

Craig Shelley New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I test drove the Prius V and both liked it (because of the increase passenger space). However, with the tax credit the C-Max Energi PHV is less expensive (we got Costco auto program quotes from a Toyota and Ford dealer and I'm basing this on those prices and the tax credit). At least for us, the potential fuel savings of the PHV makes it worth the wait to see the C-Max Energi. I also wish Toyota had a PHV Prius V. In the case of the C-Max, as I recall the price of the Energi PHV was about $1000 more than the C-Max Hybrid (but the battery in the Energi is larger than the Prius PHV on the market now). Anyway, after a tax credit, the PHV Prius V may cost about the same as the current Prius V.

5. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Speaking of cargo area, the service tech at a recent open house at my dealer said that if the "v" were to be all-electric, the battery would consume the whole rear area where the spare tire is, from the present battery to the bumper.

So the spare tire would have to come "up a level," thereby eliminating all the under-floor storage.

Still, it wouldn't be a bad trade-off...

6. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ^Just like Toyota removed the spare tire from the Plug In Prius (PIP) to make room for the batteries in the Gen III frame. Here are 11 pages of discussion about the lack of a spare in the PIP; No spare tire? | PriusChat

7. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be willing to sacrifice the spare tire (and its storage space) for plug-in capability. I realize this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, but I already have AAA coverage with complimentary 100 mile towing service up to 3 times per year. So, I don't anticipate needing the spare tire anyways.

8. kev12345

kev12345 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need a spare tire. I don't like the idea of relying on my cell phone in the case of a flat tire. Toyota needs to sort this out before I purchase a plug- in.

9. Mvirard

Mvirard New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently own a Volvo 850 (with spare tire) and a Smart Fortwo (with no spare tire). My experience is that the spare tires in Canada are often useless. Over the years (15) with my Volvo, I had two or three flats. In all cases I was unable to unscrew the wheel bolts. Because of winter de-icing salt on the roads in Canada, the corrosion of the bolts is such that unless you have power tools they won't yield. In fact I broke the wrench of the Volvo kit trying to unscrew the bolts. I no longer try to change a wheel myself any more.
    I am now with my third Smart Fortwo in five years. Two flats. I had the last flat last month with a Smart. There is an inflating kit in the Smart with a bottle of liquid rubber to be injected using the provided electric air pump so you can reach the next service station. It works if you have a small puncture but it is useless if you have big damages such as the ones inflicted by pot-holes or nasty curbs. What do you do then? Either you wait for a towing or if it is not too far, you limp up to the next service station, driving on the flat tire which is beyond salvage anyway.
    For me the absence of a spare tire is no longer a cause of anxiety but I and my wife do carry wireless phones with us all the time and the coverage is large enough in Quebec that I am rarely out of reach.
    In a sense, the arrival of the permanent communication links with vehicles makes the spare tire redundant. Of course if you live in an area without full coverage and you can physically change a wheel with rusted bolts, then the question of the spare wheel is important. May I suggest that it should be an external option, like it is on some SUV ? As for me, I don't want to pay for a tool I cannot use and therefore it should not be part of the base vehicle.
    I will have to change the Volvo within the next few years and the Prius V plug-in would be the best candidate (unless Volvo comes with a good V50 plug-in hybrid) since the Prius sedan is a bit too small and perhaps a bit too Spartan (seating is so-so) for long trips.