1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whew! Thought mileage was really bad.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by adric22, Jul 30, 2011.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just thought I'd share this to save others from my misery.

I'm quite the expert with the Gen-1 and Gen-2 Prius, but I recently got a Leaf and my wife got a Gen-3 prius. I haven't driven the Gen-3 but just a handful of times. Well, my wife told me her Prius has been getting really bad fuel economy, in the 20's or 30's. So when we went out yesterday, I drove the car and thought I'd see how much I could get out of it since I drive much slower and calmer than her.

So I reset the trip and after about 5 miles I'm reading 29 mpg. We came back home and had the same figure. I'm scratching my head because I figure anything that could mess with the fuel economy that much would have set an engine code. I checked all of the usual things and found nothing. After all, when somebody on this or another forum asks for help with fuel economy problems on a Prius I'm usually the one to help them out. And here I was stumped as could be. I was checking tire pressure, hooked up my scangauge to check for codes and battery levels, checked if any of the tires were not freely spinning or had some resistance to them, etc.

After scratching my head for an entire day I took it to the store but this time I got out on the highway. Suddenly my fuel ecnomy jumped way up. After a few miles I realized my stupidity. I was looking at the "average mph" and not the "average mpg" readout. My wife had first pointed out the number on the dash with her finger so I never questioned that it was the correct readout. I don't really even recall my Gen-1 or Gen-2 even having a readout for average speed.

Anyway. that was a relief. Turns out the car is getting 45 mpg, which isn't bad considering it is 104 degrees outside and the A/C is running full blast.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gen 1s and 2s didn't provide the average speed.

Funny story. I know the feeling, though, when you fixate on something and can't see the truth right in front of you.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Adric, please update your details. I'm sure you don't have a Five Solar.

4. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well. I'm not entirely sure what she has. We bought it used and there was nothing to really indicate which model it was. It didn't even come with a users manual. But it has pretty much every available option you could imagine on the car including sunroof, solar panel, navigation, bluetooth, cruise, etc.. How can I determine which model it is?

5. moishemeister

moishemeister First-time Prius owner.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it has the solar roof option it can only be a III or IV. Does it have leather seats? If so, it's a IV; cloth seats would mean a III.

6. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, it has leather.. so I guess it is a IV. I'll go change the info,