1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which aftermarket Head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prentp, Mar 23, 2011.

1. prentp

prentp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Prius Pkg 4 with the JBL system an I am looking for an aftermarket head unit. I tried the OEM Nav system that I purchased from someone on this website and decided to pull it back out and put it on ebay. I must say I agree with the posts that complain about the factory NAV. I wasn't impressed.

My required feature list is

1-Good Navigation (Trafic updates are not important.)
    2-Bluetooth for phone
    3-Satellite radio
    4-Don't have iphone but use pen drive,SD, or DVD for music
    5-Would like a knob for volume control

Units I've looked at
    JVC KW-NT3HDT
    This one looks the best but I'm not sure about JVC
    Pioneer AVIC-X930BT
    No voice controls like the X920BT
    Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
    Has voice controls but no volume knob
    Kenwood DNX6960
    Afraid of possible issues with JBL amp that I've read about

I'm trying to hit a price point around $900 total.

2. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Out of that list specifically, you absloutly won't go wrong with the Kenwood DNX-6960. It is the only company that uses Garmin navigation. Very easy and straight forward. It has free traffic so not paying extra for it and I believe it will re-route you if delay is too long. I'm sure you could find that unit these days online for under $900 being the new units are due out any day now. Personally, I know it means a little more money, but since your ditching the JBL system to an extent, I'd go the extra mile and bypass the JBL amp and replace the speakers as well. 6x9's in the front and 6 1/2" coaxial speakers in the rear doors. Once the factory stuff is out of the way the options are endless and you can get really good sound out of it even with relatively little money. Just all depends on what you're looking for in a system. Just better NAV or a better sounding system all together. I will be buying the new DNX-9980 this summer once it is out and replacing my HU once and for all. I have gone over the top with my setup and that will be the final piece to make it just right.

3. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In regards to the Kenwood JBL/Issue that only for 5v out limitation of PAC. If you use the Metra components

that shouldn't be an issue.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have to agree with ShawnB2 on this one.

If you need the knob, go with the Kenwood DNX6960, or wait for the DNX6980 with added HD radio and Pandora capability. Last December I chose the DNX9960, and have no regrets. I also chose the JL HD900/5 Amp because the JBL lacks power and limits speaker choices, which I also replaced.

Good find LovingLife - Metra Online. The Head Unit alone will be an improvement. You have to decide if you're happy with the results of integrating the factory amp and speakers. If you do, you're done.

Good luck what ever you do. :cool:

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29131&stc=1&d=1301208132

Attached Files:

5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got the JVC and can recommend it highly. The screen resolution may not be as high as all of the competition listed (you'll have to do some comparison), but I have no complaints! It also meets all of your other requirements, including SD card capability. The faceplate removal is a nice security touch. Some have reported the maps are outdated, but that hasn't manifested in my experience just yet.

It can easily be had for well under $900: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P6WCB4s0WBx/s_105NT3HDT/JVC-KW-NT3HDT.html