1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which auto scan tool for gen II active testing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DuPrius2008, Oct 4, 2012.

1. DuPrius2008

DuPrius2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Help! Overwhelmed by lack of detailed performance on various "new"auto scan tools. have a DIY auto maintenance and professional industrial electrician background. Anything new out there for less than $500 that will allow interactive activation maint? Such as activating brake system components for brake bleed, etc

2. Dman90

Dman90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Id like to know the same. I read somewhere that one of the Snap On scan tools works and I saw a youtube video with a G-scan-2 but couldn't find that anywhere. The Snap Ons are over 2 and 3 thousand though. I saw a Toyota Intelligence Tester for $400 which seems to test everything the Prius car could want to say about maintenance, but I'm not sure if it is able to activate ABS pump for brake bleed procedures.

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    by far the best (cheap) tool for DIY is MiniVCI.

It's a Chinese clone of the Mongoose cable and they include a cracked version of Techstream, the same software the dealers use.
    While not exactly ethical to buy and use, plenty of Toyota owners use it and Toyota corp doesn't seem to want to stop it from being available. (it also works on any Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicle).

Available Ebay/Amazon for $20-60 depending on version. Easiest is to use an old XP laptop if you have one lying around.