1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which battery gets used when in Park

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MegaMPG, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MegaMPG

MegaMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, I've been meaning to ask you guys for sometime about this. Occasionally when I am waiting for something/someone, I will put the Prius into PARK, and then just listen to music. The car is still in the "ON" mode with the "ready" light illuminated. When the car is in "ON" mode and the car is in P, what battery am I using?

Cheers,
    J

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When it's in READY, there's a charger that takes high voltage from the hybrid battery and makes 12V for the 12V battery and all the 12V users (blower, radio, etc). If the HV battery gets low, the engine will start and run to charge it back up.

In accessory or on modes, you're running things off the little 12V only which is easy to run down.

4. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are running the radio directly off the 12V battery, which gets charged by the traction battery if it runs low, which in turn is charged by the ICE starting up if it runs low.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not quite. When in Ready, the DC to DC converter maintains the 12V bus at a level above the fully charged level of the 12V battery. This means that the DC to DC converter supplies all of the low voltage power, plus constantly charges the 12V battery. The 12V battery never supplies power in this mode.

Tom

2 people like this.