1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which car battery is best value.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Aug 17, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Dodge Caravan minivan (not an SUV) needs a new battery, and I am OCD about finding the best value. I have heard they all come from only two manufacturers.

Also, they have changed the way they warrantee them. Instead of 24 month, 36 month, 60 month prorated warrentees, most seem to have a 1 year or 3 year non-prorated replacement warrantee.

Yesterday, I almost bought at WalMart, a "MAXX" 3 year battery with 600 CCA, but it was nealy $70 and I thought I could buy a MOPAR original equipment for that price.

Edit = It turns out the OEM Mopar battery 600 CCA and 110 Reserve Capacity for $98 and it comes with 18 month road side jump start assistance, 18 month free replacement and 6 year prorated warrantee. I wonder if it is worth paying $30 extra dollars for.

I didn't notice what if any reserve capacity was claimed for the WalMart "MAXX"

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 17 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]497777[/snapback]</div>
    You dont need to pay the premium for that yellow MAXX battery at walmart, when i had to buy one for the explorer we had i got out the tape measure and measured the old one and went in the store and bought me one of their $45 - $50 price range batterries of the same size. It carried me through all of last winter here in Ohio with no problems whatsoever. Also make sure to buy one with the same type of post terminals. My prevoius car also had a wal mart battery that i put in when the car was 4 years old, 6 years and 100,000 miles later the battery was still good too bad the engine quit.

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    get a die hard thats all i need to say

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(johnnychimpo @ Aug 22 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]500718[/snapback]</div>
    Consensus on every car forum I've been on is that Optima red-top batteries are the best (for most applications).

Best value? Maybe a Kirkland from Costco?

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will only ever use Century yuasa batteries. I normally get 6 years from a battery.

6. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 17 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]497777[/snapback]</div>
    True dat.

I used to work in an auto parts store a few centuries agp. When the Johnson Controls truck pulled up to drop my new batteries and pick up our cores, the trucks next stop was Sears to drop off "DieHards," then to Costco to drop "Kirkland Signature Brand." Of course I never bought batteries. I just would snag a good looking core, blast it with about a billion amps for 10 minutes, then trickle it at 2 amps for a few hours. It worked every time. No explosions either. I'd keep them around for "jumpers," so we didn't have to use a "new" battery or hook up the big chargers. I'd also sell them to poor folks for the price of the core.

Buy one from either Sams Club or Costco. Much cheaper. I'd pick Sams just because I'd rather have "Energizer" under my hood than Kirkland Signature Brand.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I always bought Kirkland batteries from Costco (pre-Prius), and I was very satisfied with them. I wish they had a Prius battery...... :(

8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the comments. I ended up buying the Mopar OEM Battery for double the price, but I realy wanted it to say Mopar. I guess it makes as much sense as the "Sunroof" sticker.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Mopar was Chrysler??? Shouldn't you have bought a good battery and a TRD sticker?

10. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 22 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]500850[/snapback]</div>
    Chrysler makes Dodge vehicles (also used to make Plymouths, until they retired the brand).

11. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mopar are makers of performance parts for Chrysler vehicle. Sorry I wasn't clear what I meant.
    So why would someone want a Mopar brand on their battery in a Toyota?

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 23 2007, 04:29 AM) [snapback]500888[/snapback]</div>
    I think he needed it for his Dodge Caravan.