1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which car to buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by citrus, Oct 29, 2007.

1. citrus

citrus New Member

I would like to thank everyone for responding to my last post & convincing me to buy a Prius. Now the question is I have 2 Priuses to choose from. One from a dealer for 21,995 (base model) year 2007 with 9,000 miles that comes with a 7 year/100,000 engine warranty plus standard 8 year/100,000 hybrid drive train warranty.... OR.... a 2005 Prius (base model) with 6,000 miles for $18,000 with no 7 year/ 100,000 (i dont think)engine warranty. Look forward to all of your replies.

John

2. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

wuts your budget

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would buy the 2007 model. There were some good changes made for the 2006 year.

Tom

4. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Considering only what info you provided I would jump on the '05 and save $5k for the car with fewer miles. Then again, I'm cheap.

That being said I'm, not sure what changes were made to base models in '06. I'm would also be suspicious as to why the '05 has only 6k miles. I can only assume you ran a Carfax and everything checks out as legit. The car history would be a factor for me. If the money isn't a factor than go for the newer car. The 2 year age difference probably trumps the minimal mileage difference. I might also lean toward one color preference, especially if one of them had gray interior.
    You could always flip a coin or Eeenie Meenie Miny Mo.

5. akramer84

akramer84 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(citrus @ Oct 29 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]532266[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought a 2007 Touring Prius package #6 with 8,000 miles for around $23,400. Both deals sound bad.

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would buy the 2005 and save $5K. I don't see the extra warranty as being valuable. I would never purchase a vehicle that I expected something in the powertrain to fail in 100K miles.

I had the same choice when I bought my Prius except that the dealer wanted $2K more for his used car because it was "Certified Used" and had the 100K mile powertrain warranty. I asked him if Toyota makes quality automobiles. He said yes, they are the most reliable cars on the road. I then asked him if Toyota makes reliable cars that are the best on the road, why anything would break in the first 100K miles. He look flustered and then said that nothing should break, but it is good to have the warranty just in case. I said $2k is a lot of money to pay for something that you say I shouldn't have to use. Needless to say, we didn't come to an agreement on a price because he wouldn't drop the warranty and $2k price so I bought the same car for less down the road at a independent dealer. (BTW, his "certified used" price was only $49 less than the 3 new base Prii he had on his lot!)

7. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tough choice but the newer car is just that- 2 years newer. In 10 years it will still be two years newer and if you drive less than the national average (I think 12000 but don't quote me) in a few years your car will be considered low mileage. Ultimately your decision; good luck and either way your going to enjoy the car.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd go for the 2005 and see about getting an extended warranty from Troy.

That said, I don't think either are great deals. If you have the money I'd also suggest, as a previous poster did, that you buy new and get the highest package you can afford.