1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which component failure would "junk" your car?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by adric22, Jul 29, 2010.

?
  1. inverter

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. transaxle

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. ECU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. steering column

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. hybrid battery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. None - I'd always get it fixed regardless.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. multiple of these would have to fail at once.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In reading the longevity post, I began to wonder at what point people consider their 2001-2003 prius to be no longer servicable. So I wondered if there was one magic component that, if failed, you would decide to send your car to the junk yard, instead of fixing it.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It really comes down to the price-to-repair versus my time and interest. Now if the body is damaged in an accident, I don't do body work. If the interior began to fall apart, again, I don't do interior. But everything else is more or less replaceable:

• Inverter - I already have a salvage in storage.
    • Transaxle - it looks like ~$1,000 and from postings by Orange4boy and TomFreed, something with the tools I already have, not so bad.
    • ECUs - they are readily available but I am careful about jumpering
    • steering system - since it is just me, I can drive a manual and I know how to pull the fuse. Since replacing the transaxle involves removing the steering assembly, it looks to be easier than a transaxle replacement.
    • hybrid battery - Re-InVolt is on 'speed dial' knowing the replacement will be better than the OEM.
    So not mentioned:

• Accident body damage to frame - I don't do body work
    • Interior falls apart - I don't do interiors
    • Fire or flood or anything severely affecting body wiring
    Other things I would repair:

• Exhaust system
    • Windows and glass
    • Lights
    • Accelerator
    • Brakes
    I can do this because:

• Have alternate transportation - I continue to work during repair times
    • Have two of three best scanners - Graham Miniscanner and Auto Enguity
    • Have tools and place to work - own home and have a good inventory
    • Have manuals and understanding - so what is not covered in the manuals I can figure out
    • Confidence - it isn't that hard, just different and terribly interesting
    Of course this could change. We have another 2010 Prius so one option is to dispose of the 2003 and get my wife another Prius. Or the wife could decide she doesn't need a car . . . same result. If our requirements change from a two-car to a one-car family, there is no need to keep the old one.

AFFORDABLE PARTS

I ran a quick set of numbers and based upon a 3% loss each year, there should be ~44,000 NHW11s on the road and ~10,000 in various states in different salvage yards. At this rate, we'll be down to 50% still running by 2026. This is because we have parts options from Toyota inventory, what is available in salvage (now Ebay available) and our growing understanding of how to keep them running using a mix of Toyota and non-Toyota processes and procedures.

There are good reasons why these cars can achieve ~25 year service life. Whether or not they should is a different question and depends upon their owners today and in the future.

Bob Wilson

3. nukehome

nukehome New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figure my car is worth between $4000 and $6000. If the replacement of multiple systems at one reached $3000 I'd probably simply sell the car for parts and go buy a newer Prius. Wish I could afford a 2008-2010 Prius.

Anyone know of grants for someone to buy a hybrid car and test it for several years?

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops. Didn't realize this was Gen1 only until after I voted. (Why is Gen1 discussion under the Gen II forums?) I voted for multiple, but that's assuming the fixing cost is less than the resale value of the car. Even then I'd be hesitant to junk it.

1 person likes this.
  5. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought of adding those to the poll, but I was really referring to component failure rather than damage to the vehicle. After all, junk yards are full of cars that have never been wrecked, they just got to the point they weren't worth repairing.

I can do this because:

The problem with your calculations is that the 3% loss each year will not stay at 3%. As the cars get older the rate of them being removed from service will increase. Most cars these days stay on the roads about 10 to 15 years. I'd honestly be really surprised if there were many 1st generation Prius's still on the road in 2015. But, that is what this poll is all about. To my surprise, nobody yet has said they would junk their prius over a dead hybrid battery. Yet, that is the one thing most naysayers always say is wrong with buying a hybrid, especially a used one.

But I think you also have to consider most people don't do their own auto repair. So they have to calculate the cost of having somebody else repair it. And if the toyota dealer wants $4,000 to replace a dead hybrid battery and the car is only worth $4,000 after repair, then that is a serious problem and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of these cars going to the junk-yard in the near future over dead hybrid batteries.

I think the availability of 2nd generation Prius at decent prices on the used market is also driving down the value of the 1st generation.

6. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, I've always wondered that myself. It seems strange that the Gen-3 has its own forum but the Gen-1 has to be a sub-forum of the Gen-2. Why can't the site operators change that? it would be far less confusing.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that relatively few Classic will be on the road in 2015, perhaps 20% of the 53K units sold in the US. There are relatively few Prius DIYers and most cities do not have credible independent service alternatives. The price of new parts and dealer service will make major repair economically unfeasible.

Second and third-hand used cars are usually bought by lower-income owners. How many of those owners have the time or inclination to figure out how to keep the Classic Prius running?

If I still owned my 2001, I would say that an unknown failure that cannot be easily diagnosed would be the most likely to send the car to the junkyard. My guess is that most DIYers would get tired of repeatedly replacing parts with salvage, not knowing whether this is improving the situation or not.

Otherwise, a transaxle or engine failure would be the most likely to send the car to the junkyard, since those are the most difficult parts to replace when lacking repair shop facilities.

8. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank You ! - I've asked the same thing.....still no response!

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is a national average reported for all vehicles. So I would expect the warranty years to be much lower. As the warranties expire, then the rate increases but I still doubt it would reach 3%. But based upon the calls to "Car Talk," it sounds like 150,000 miles is their expected vehicle life-time. Anything over 175,000 miles and the Cat Talk guys call 'em junk.

Yes but we've learned the skeptics are full of it.

We've already seen a couple of 'auction' buyer and rebuilders. TomFreed was one and I suspect there have been a few others who were being a little 'stealthy.' The tell is they have unusual car repair skills although often they lack specific hybrid knowledge. This is where we can help.

In fact more than a few of us have made such recommendations in the past. Folks who come here seeking an NHW11 as 'cheap' transportation are often advised to price an NHW20. An NHW11 only makes sense 'if the buyer can afford a used car.'

Bob Wilson