1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which CTEK and M6,M8 or M10 for comfort connect?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by DATMAN, Nov 15, 2016.

1. DATMAN

DATMAN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi newbie here from UK. Have 2007 Gen 2 T Spirit. 65mpg over 100k since owning - so pleased !

Would like to get the CTEK battery system connected to the car.

Initially want to install the CTEK comfort directly to the battery. However which eyelet out of M6,M8 or M10 comforts is best fit for the bolt to the battery connector ? Also do would you connect the -ve directly to the battery or to the other end of the -be lead connected to the body in the boot/trunk?

Then which CTEK is better- the 3.8 or 5?

Leaning towards the 3.8 as I note from other posts that you should not have more than 4a directly connected to the battery? The CTEK 5 overshoots this by 1 am so can it damage the hybrid battery?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see they have different models in the UK:

www.ctek.com

Looking at a pdf of the 2005 Owners Manual, they say max charging amperage of 3.5. Accordingly, I'd go for the MSX 3.8, still slightly over. I've never seen the need to use the permanent connection, just use the alligator clips.

Addendum: Or XS 3600? Or CT5? This is getting bewildering. Just looking at all the options in the vicinity of 3.5 amp recommendation.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016