1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Dash Cam?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Oct 17, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few of my colleagues have been subject to staged accident scams in the local city to us (actually on one road in one run down part). I was travelling down there yesterday and an old Audi looked like it was going to try one on me too as he kept going real slow on and off in front of me etc, but I decided to drop well back and keep out of the way.

Obviously times are hard and they know that being a taxi from my town (different taxi licence plates) that I'll be fully insured. Equally, my taxi insurance has gone up about 30% this year despite no claims so I will try and do whatever I can to reduce the likelyhood of an accident. I know in the US you've had accident dash cams in service vehicles for some time and they've even started to make it into some cars too.

Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) one? Can you get away with just a forward facing one or do you really need one viewing inside the car too? I don't want an expensive one that needs loads of installation but equally I want one that works. Some trucks over here have warning stickers on the back saying they have an accident cam fitted, but are stickers recommended or do they cause more problems than without?

Await your comments on what I hope to be a proactive step.

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've heard about that. What they do is cut right in front of you and then come to an emergency stop for no reason. People who investigate accidents think that the driver of the rear vehicle must have been careless.

If you feel that you might be robbed or assaulted while you are working, then you should get the inside-the-vehicle surveillance. If you are stricly worried about other vehicles, then no.

There are two basic kinds. One has a central recorder in the boot/trunk and cameras mounted around the car as you please. Police use this system. This gives you a high quality but requires running various wires around the upholstery. The other has small unit(s) that are combined camera/recorder. You mount it and turn it on, no wire to the boot. These are quicker and cheaper, but you have to be careful about the quality of the unit and its image.

If your goal is to deter "accidents", then lots of stickers. If your goal is to put these people out of business, then cameras but no stickers. If you do get them doing this on tape *don't* say anything about it while you are standing there by the road. They might just walk away, be back to work in ten minutes. Let them perjure themselves in court, then pull out the tape. This will make you a hero to your fellow cabbies, and encourage scammers to look for another city to work in.

3. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do a somepeople want to screw up everyone else:mad:

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Erm, easy money? :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Aaaaand the Grumpster gets it in one. :D

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK mate, here are a few to check out, I like them in order of listing!!

1- Smart Black Box | High Resolution Mobile Event Data Recorder

1a - http://www.productioneng.com/FORMgallery2.htm

2 - Trucker Cam Fleet Vehicle Video Dash Camera Digital Recorder GPS

3 - THE VIDEO COPILOT DASH CAMERA/DVR - VC-100 Contents

4 - HD Dash Camera Recorder with AV Out (Up to 32GB - 60FPS) - HD-AV1 -

I like #1, but 1a has a 3 cam version.. the best, I would get the 90º view model, they also have one with a wide angle view!

1 person likes this.
  7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple of cabbies on the vectra-c forum recommend this:

Roadhawk in car camera products

either one forward facing(£200), or forward and internal model(£295). includes GPS and G-force info...

1 person likes this.
  8. Pulse326

Pulse326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to try out a really, really cheap dash cam - go for Witness Driving - it's a phone app, costs 99 cents and does just about everything the more expensive systems do - speed, GPS & G-forces.

I've been getting crystal clear footage. I feel naked if I drive without it now.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Grumpy, the only experience I have is with professional systems such as Digital Eye Witness. This is used in law enforcement and surveillance. But far outside your price range

The links provided, and the recommendation from the fellow taxi driver, I would suggest you follow

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the iphone. Looks nice, but I own no iphone.

Funny i see this thread now, a couple days ago I decided I want a dash cam. Not because I am a cab driver but if I can find one that "records automatically when you start up your vehicle and in a continuous cycle so when the SD card is full it will loop over the oldest files first." like the $175 camera mentioned here I'd like to get it--but for under $100. I'm ok rigging something up. Does anybody know of any cheaper home-grown option?

Also, this thread is a year old.

I just want something I can turn on and forget about in case I ever get in an accident.

I've also been looking into IP cameras for home security. Nifty what a few hundred bucks can get a person nowadays.

$50 buys this, some hit or miss reviews, but it's not specifically set up as an auto-on dash cam:http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0029631VI?tag=priuschatcom-20 are some well reviewed ones on amazon and quite discreet for no more than $200.

11. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put a Logitech Orbitcam on my dashboard. It connects to a laptop that is on a bracket between my passenger seat and console. The biggest advantage is that I can record very long periods of time. I am able to pan, tilt and zoom with it.

While I haven't had to use it for defense of a ticket or accident, I have pulled a couple clips which I emailed to another driver's employer. One was a delivery truck that was all over the road. Another was a beautiful shot of a deputy running a light that had been red for days almost causing a wreck. His lights were not on.

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you hear back on that deputy? I saw a cop rushing through traffic, going through lights, etc. a while back and he had no lights on himself. I think he didn't realize that at the time and it was pretty unsafe!

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And the problem is?

We all make mistakes. How many times have you driven thru a red light by mistake and got away with it? Maybe once or twice?

Now if this deputy does it every morning as a matter of course then sure it's dangerous and one day he'll come a cropper and your video would be of use.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    His video may be of use now to bring it to attention, if it is something he's otherwise prone to often do.

15. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, I sent the video clip to the sheriff because as I posted above the deputy not only ran a light that had been red for a long time but nearly caused an accident. A car coming the other way locked up brakes and swerved. The deputy hit his brakes for a second and then continued on.

Did I get an answer? Actually, I did. We are in a small town here. Our sheriff is very approachable. The captain in traffic division was already aware of it because another driver had actually complained about the incident. My video made it clear that the other driver was telling the truth.

Since, like the OP, I rarely have a front seat passenger it is easy to have a laptop on a mount. The Logitech Orbit cam is perfect for this because of its round but hefty base and the pan, tilt & zoom features. It also has a Karl Zeiss lens for great video.

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  17. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks a good price. You get one and let me know how good it is? :)

19. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    haha - :) price looks good.

How about the specifications: ad says 1080p Full Hd with support up to 32GB memory

( I plan to purchase Class 10 memory card with 32GB memory, class 10 for fast processing)

If I decide to order, it will lake 3-5 weeks for delivery from Hong-Kong, assuming Irish customs won't delay it.

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't buy a cam on ebay without reviews. I've seen a lot of reviews on amazon and a lot of these dashcams basically make up the numbers; like that 1080P may not be 1080P, or maybe it technically is but its picture quality is crap.