1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which do you prefer, the Seaside or Salsa Red?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sdgeiger, Nov 24, 2004.

1. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I pick up my Seaside Pearl in about 2 weeks, however, I finally got to see the car in person recently, and I must say that I am a bit disappointed. I now prefer the Salsa Red Pearl.

In the pictures I saw, the Seaside was a much nicer looking car, IMO, but not in person.

I suppose this is the risk that one takes when buying a car that he/she has never seen, except in pictures.

2. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

I like the Salsa, but to me Seaside was my first choice. I ended up with a Tideland Pearl and I don't regret it because it's a beautiful color as well. I don't see why you're dissapointed in the Seaside, I think it's a beautiful color. And it changes with the weather, so maybe when you go pick it up you'll feel different about it.

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Nothing's going to console you, unless a lot of us Salsa owners fess'd up that we wish we had the "blue" car. :roll:

And that's not likely to happen...

Except for cases like yours, I'd say most people are pretty happy with the color of their Prius and they think that their car's color looks "best."

Of course in our heart of hearts, we know that's just not true. Salsa Red the best color for a Prius. :mrgreen:

4. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

I thought we already did the red vs. blue thing on Nov. 2nd.

Anyway, I drive a red car in a blue state. To those who ask about the blue color, I say it reminds me of denim shirts (which are more consistent in color than jeans).

If you haven't selected a car yet, please try to see the actual color on the Prius (or a Highlander if that's easier to find). Web sites and paper cannot duplicate the richness of the finish.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a red colour person and more of blue but I actually love the Salsa Red Pearl paint. Doesn't look great on the Camry but it does on the Sienna and Prius :) It was my first choice but my parents weren't keen on red so I ended up choosing Tideland Pearl.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a Seaside Pearl on order when a Salsa Red became available and I jumped on it. I have had no regrets, just a lots of compliments on the color.

7. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

love the salsa. More of a red obsession.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Isn’ it what’s inside that counts???

I do have to admit - I ordered a silver, was offered a blue, and waited an extra two weeks for a Salsa after seeing one driving down the street. I guess it reminded me of my first love . . . my first encounter with a 2004 Prius at the 2003 California State Fair in Sacramento. I fell in love with the Salsa Siren the instant my eyes caught a glimpse. It was a magical time. I couldn’t stop thinking about her . . . morning, noon, and night!

It’s true, when it comes to the Prius, beauty IS on the inside and the outside too. There are those who even like those albino colors too! :wink: To each their own . . . get what YOU like.

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a different reaction to the Salsa and Seaside. I wanted the Seaside as my first choice and the Tideland Green as my second, with Salsa as a third. When I finally saw a Salsa, I thought that would be my second choice. The Tideland is too grey for my taste. Fortunately, I got the Seaside I wanted and I love the color. It's a stately blue rather than a primary kid's toy blue.
    The Salsa is a little more on the maroon side than would be indicated from the color patches on the brochures. I like the wine color. But, in fact, none of the colors save black and white are shown accurately on the brochure. The whole thing is a moot question since most people take whatever color comes up when the dealer calls.
    I would like to see a yellow Prius and maybe the dark green color that showed up on the 2003 Prius.
    As I waited for a car, I "practiced" getting used to any of the colors so that I would be able to take whatever color showed up when I got the call.
    My last choice was the Millenium Silver, which is nearly invisible on rainy Seattle streets.
    B

10. Silverback

Silverback New Member

The pearl colours on the Prius are particularly interesting in that the colours definitely shift depending on the light. The Tideland has green in it, but appears gray in some light, even bright light. Same goes for the blue which seems to take on different hues. The Driftwood (the one I'm waiting for) is a Prius only colour. I went to great lengths to see one recently before confirming my order. I called 16 dealerships in the BC lower mainland and found one that i could go in to see. A fleet car that was just being prepped. Loved the colour. Not gold, although some people refer to it as such, maybe beige, many bronze, sort of brown.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe, all you gotta do is look at the Yellow Cab Prius to find your yellow Prius :p

12. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I have a BC Salsa on order, expected January delivery. The interior colour does not thrill me at all. The gray interior my brother has, it is nice, compliments the dash/display nicely.

His lifetime MPG is 50 in the Seattle exurbs.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like to drive a blue car. At first I was a bit disappointed because the blue of my Prius is darker than the blue of my previous car (a Civic). With time, however, I've come to prefer the darker blue of my Prius.

Red and white were the only two colors I told my dealer I would refuse, but I suspect I could have gotten used to any color on a car this spectacular.

14. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seaside was my first color choice, and my dealer managed to come up with one somehow. It's a beautiful color. Everyone who sees it likes it--young, old, male, female. Even Republicans like it! It's probably the nicest blue I've ever seen on a car.

I think the Salsa is also very nice too, mind you. I'm just not a red car person. Toyota really went the extra mile with all the Prius colors, just like they did with the other aspects of the car.

15. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ill take the blue anytime,although, they both look good...btw, the insurance companies like blue too...they had told me that red gets in more accidents and the insurance preminum would be higher...go figure...seemed to me that red would be seen better, but who knows with the corruption of the insurance industry.....

17. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj\";p=\"52955)</div>
    I think those insurance people are being perfectly honest with you. For them it's a matter of statistics and probabilities. It's not a conspiracy against red car owners.

My own guess is that it has to do with what kind of driver owns a red car and perhaps how a person tends to drive in that color car.

That doesn't necessarily mean that red Prius owners are more likely to get into an accident or that you would be more likely to have an accident if you drove one. It can be insulting to be considered a statistic but that's about all they have to go on. If you don't like their policies you should shop around.