1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WHICH EV MOD IS THE BEST?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by D K, Aug 14, 2007.

1. D K

D K New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I searched and got some info, but no clear indication as to which EV mode works the best.

Any ideas?

Ideally, I would go for one that would require the least amount of cutting/splicing/soldering -- *if* there is such a thing.

Any ideas would be helpful..

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the OEM setup.

Where to buy?

DK

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The coastaletech cruise control EV mod is definately the easiest install...if that's the most important thing for you then go with that.

I, personally, like my EV button b/c of the instantaneous response with a single light tap. The coastal EV solution requires pulling back on the cruise control for 2-3 seconds for EV to engage or disengage...you may have noticed that the stalk turns with the steering wheel. I, personally, would not like that.

Cheapest solution is to just use any cheap momentary switch from Radio Shack, but that will require the running of some wires, a little soldering, and some work to get a pin for the ECU plug.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At one time I was considering the Coastal mod because of its reported ease of installation. I hesitated because of their spotty customer service record. Meanwhile, other switch users got me thinking as they called attention to the delay of the Coastal switch and the immediacy of some of the others, as Evan describes. And I mustered up a little courage to install the home-grown version he suggests; I'm not very mechanically inclined. I'm glad I did. Having used it now for several months, I don't think I would care at all for the delayed activation.

My decision-making process is partially described here, and my installation here.

4. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I installed the headlight flasher EV mod a little while back and it wasn't all that hard to do and have not had any problems with it since. I like that it is extremely simple to toggle off and on. I did do a small amount of soldering, which was simple to do.