1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Hybrid is better: Toyota Prius or Honda Civic hybrid?

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by kritimorn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. kritimorn

kritimorn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Five
    I will be driving only in city and short outings only,my 1st priority is fuel-efficiency,and I am in India so only between Toyata Prius and Honda Civic hybrid

2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Which Hybrid is better: Toyata Prius or Honda Civic hybrid?

Both are good cars. Prius has slightly better economy.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

We've had both, first the second generation Civic Hybrid, and now our Prius. If you can get 3rd generation Civic Hybrid (model year 2012), the race might be closer.

The second generation Civic Hybrid is a decent car, but somewhat flawed. It's battery is overtaxed. There have been some software updates to "fix" that, but with mixed success. Our's is still on the road, with another family member, but it's condition is not optimum, even with the software update.

It's Continuously Variable Transmission has been problematic for some owners too, though ours was ok.

With our Prius I find we get somewhere between 15~20% better mileage. And it is easier to achieve that mileage. It's battery has much more capacity, and is not overtaxed. The transmission is simple and elequent, tightly integrated with the hybrid system.

Also: cargo capacity with the Prius is MUCH better.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

In city driving the Prius is better. The Toyota HSD is more efficient than the Honda IMA when the engine isn't needed.

Given the warm temperatures in which you live you'll have short warm-up times, which will help with your mileage in the Prius.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I've never driven the Honda hybrid, but I believe that the Toyota has the better and more reliable technology. Honda uses an "integrated motor assist" system where the electric motor helps out the gas engine when needed, and the gas engine drives the wheels through a continuously variable transmission, which is inherently problematic. Toyota uses a system unique to them, where there is no clutch and no component is ever disconnected from the drivetrain but engine speed is decoupled from vehicle speed by an ingenious use of something very like a differential. The system is very difficult to conceptualize, but mechanically very simple. It allows the car to drive under pure electric power under limited conditions, while using the gas engine directly when it's most efficient to do so, and various combinations when that it better.

There's a more detailed explanation of the Prius power-split device, which serves as a transmission, on THIS web site.

In all, while the fuel efficiency of the two cars is very close, and both Honda and Toyota are reliable companies, the technology of the Toyota is in my opinion more elegant and more reliable.

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

HSD over IMA for local driving, hands down.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

Neither hybrid is useful for "short outings". The hybrid MPG advantage only comes into play after the engine warms up. Once warmed up the Prius will out perform a Civic hybrid in MPG by a substantial amount in city driving. They are comparable in highway MPG.

JeffD

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

How is it to get service in India? People can have a hard time getting hybrid service here. One of the two most common Prius problems happen with botched service: engine oil is overfilled and makes the car code, or the battery is drained and cannot be recharged. Hybrid battery life on the Honda side has been shorter as well.

I'll tell you where the Prius has a major advantage: Air Conditioning! The compressor is high voltage and does not need the engine to turn it. In stop/go traffic during periods of high A/C demand (like, if you live in Mumbai), a Honda engine will be running all the time, whereas the Prius will only come on every so often to charge the HV battery.

What about the Tata Nano EV? That would be perfect, if they will ever sell it.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I was driving behind a late model Honda Civic Hybrid, pulling into a grocery store parking lot last night thinking, 'right now I'm 'on battery' (EV'ing) into and all around the parking lot while the Civic's gas engine is humming away like any other conventional car'.

Not long ago, I read a laundry list of complaints from Civic hybrid owners that their MPGs suddenly went far down, like from 40 something to 30 flat. Most got no help from Honda and their concencus was that Honda had no idea how to fix the problems. Many had their engine control units reprogrammed by Honda which they felt 'lobotomized' the hybrid system.

I don't have the link, but after reading those complaints, I was no longer a Honda / IMA hybrid fan.

Also, the electric motor is sandwiched between the engine and transmission, and *I think* is supplying electric power all the time whereas in Prius, the electric drive gets to take a break whenever needed.

Plus, the small trunk / non liftback format is a deal breaker. Insight is kinda cute, but too small and low on power.

I like the interior designs and seating in the Honda hybrids, but that's not nearly enough to win me over.

I don't like the 2nd gen Prius, but I really like my 2011 Prius, floating bridge console and all. Yum.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've had an awful lot of 10 minute drives lately, and the gage is hanging in at 52 MPGs in 50 F weather.

11. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

The HCH2 is not 1n EV mode all the time! It is when required and it charges the pack when coasting or braking.You can power the car in EV mode up to 4 bars assist. It is a 20 HP elect mtr. so not much power to begin with. Prius is better in town, but the Civic can do well if you under stand what you are doing! I have managed 3.1 ltr. per 100 kil. about 65 mpg! Hal

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The Second Generation Civic Hybrid (commenced in 2006 model year) can (and normally does) run AC without the engine. It will AutoStop (Honda speak for engine shut down at stops) at a red light, AC continuing to run. If you're stopped for a protracted time the computer will intervene and start the engine, but not usually.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

50F isn't exactly cold. Try mornings at 32F or lower. What distances are we talking about, and what is your average mpg?

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Heard that. Haven't been out early enough to catch the 40F temps.

It's 50F trips anywhere from 3 miles, 5 miles, nothing too long lately. Gage still over 52, so actual should be about 50.

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Keyword is can. It has a hybrid compressor, where the engine supplies 80% of peak power, and the HV system 20%. If the compressor can't keep up with demand using just the HV portion during idle, the engine will turn on. What works well in Canada may not work as well in India.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wow you have a lot of cars. I couldn't keep up with them all.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

In India with its crazy, congested traffic, I think your deciding factors should be (in order of importance):

1) Dealer support
    2) Price (both car and replacement parts)
    3) Fuel Economy

18. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Because they are all Toyota or Honda, it is much easier.

19. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If you want a car that drives more like a normal car and not a hybrid, i'd buy the Honda, but if you want great efficiency, get the Prius.

20. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Just test drove Honda's CR-Z, the hybrid two seater. It sucks!
    The MPG is 35/38? And it's a hybrid? Car is noisy, slow, short and only two seats. The only good thing is the 3D like instrument panel looking. List price? $21K+ base model. Top of the line is $28K+ What a joke.