1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Hybrid SUV would you get?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ggood, Oct 1, 2006.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So, my sister is ready to replace her Subaru Outback with a new car. I initially recommended the Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V or new Toyota RAV-4, since she still wants 4 wheel drive (good idea for a single school teacher living in Omaha, Nebraska). I don't totally trust the Ford hybrid Escape and it seems overpriced, as does the Toyota hybrid Highlander. She then started asking questions about the Ford Escape hybrid and the Saturn Vue hybrid. What follows was my response, which I thought I'd throw out here for additional comments and/or corrections:

To me, the main point should be whether the hybrid car uses significantly less gas and creates significantly less pollution, while still performing whatever particular car functions you're looking for in a transparent manner and without increased maintenance. There is no doubt the Prius is the overall champ in the gas and air pollution issues. I got the hybrid Camry because I was willing to give some of that up in favor of a car that is more comfortable and smoother riding, particularly for long highway trips, even though the interior room of the Prius in not much less than the Camry. In fact, you could argue it is less, given that the Prius has a large rear hatchback area, compared to the Camry's relatively small trunk.

The GM mild system is turning the engine off at stoplights, using a modified alternator system, but operates roughly and with an inelegant technology that is likely to require more maintenance. I don't regard this as doing enough to lower gas consumption or reduce air pollution, when balanced against the increased cost and mechanical complexity of their system. Their full hybrid system is not in production yet, but is also far less elegant from a technological pespective, because they are going to have a double system of clutches and other mechanical parts (in order to allow both the electric motor and gas engine to drive the car). The GM technology is extremely suspect on whether it does enough to lower gas consumption and air pollution. It is also likely to require increased maintenance, repair and replacement costs compared to the other 2 hybrid systems.

By comparison, the Toyota and Ford systems use an elegant planetary gear system that is likely to be very low maintenance over time. It allows both the electric motor and gas engine to drive the car using the same system of gears, etc. The trade off is that the planetary gear system is less efficient at low speeds and for high speed passing. The benefit (other than low maintenance) is that the planetary gear system is very smooth operating. You don't get the gear change bumps or jerks that you usually feel in auto transmission cars. They use clever computer technology to balance the use of the electric and gas engines to make it as efficient as possible, including turning the car on and off at stops. Since an electric motor has good low-end torque and can provide a power boost at high speeds, it makes up for the ineffiecencies of the planetary gear system.

The Honda system is different from both Toyota and GM. It uses the electric motor as a power booster. It never operates independently like the Toyota and Ford system. They use the car's computers to turn the gas engine off and on at stop lights. The 6-cylinder Accord hybrid also turns some of its cylinders off and on, depending on the current power needs at different speeds. In the Civic, the Honda technology gets good mileage and operates relatively cleanly and like a normal car, so Honda achieves the main goals of hybrid technology. Some people argue Honda's system is better, because they get the same gas savings and pollution reduction as the Toyota system, using simpler technology. Honda also does a very good job with environmental issues, with or without hybrid technology. However, they made a mistake making the Accord hybrid a 6-cylinder. The Prius has more interior room and technology goodies than the Civic. The Hondas probably both handle better than the Prius, but neither of them is available in a hatchback.

If you want a hybrid SUV, I would get the Escape or the Highlander. GM cars are frankly crap. The Highlander seems bigger and is probably a much nicer car than the Escape, and appears to get almost the same mileage. However, it is also $5,000 more. I haven't driven them, so you'll have to judge whether they give a car-like ride and are easy to get in and out of. It is my understanding the Escape and Highlander are based on more of a Truck-like chassis than the Forester, CR-V or RAV-4. I would expect the Forester to have the lowest passenger entry. Ford seems to have backpedalled a bit on its support of hybrid technolgy and has sold a lot fewer Escapes than they hoped for. Toyota is firmly committed and has already sold hundreds of thousands of hybrids. Some people argue that the hybrid Highlander is not worth the extra cost, because just like the Accord hybrid, it's mated with a 5-cylinder gas engine that doesn't get significantly higher mileage than the 4-cylinder non-hybrid version of the same car.

Finally, keep in mind the Toyota tax credit just dropped by 50%, because the federal tax credit was designed to benefit American car companies by tapering off for each individual manufacturer after a certain number have been sold.

Here's a link to a good article explaining why the VUE may or may not be a true hybrid:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/saturn-vue-hybrid.html
    and another one explaining how the "mild" GM system works:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/belt-alternator-starters.html
    Here's the Escape link:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/escape.html
    and the EPA mileage ratings:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/mileage.html

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ Oct 1 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]326503[/snapback]</div>
    Well that bit is just FUD. :)

The GM mild system is roughly equal to Honda's IMA. I've never really heard it referred to as running roughly (in any legit reviews), and increases fuel economy by roughly 20% for a roughly 2K cost premium (which really isn't 2K, the car(s) with BAS are usually contented upwards).

The full hybrid (two mode) system may be more complex than Toyota's, but it also looks to be more efficient (especially on highways).

And another nice benefit to the two mode system... it's going to get a lot of usage. BMW, Mercedes Benz, GM, and Chrysler are all going to use it. It could end up becoming a de facto standard just for that reason.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ Oct 1 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]326503[/snapback]</div>
    Also, the HiHy has a 6 cylinder engine. Did you bother to do any research?

3. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Test drove a Ford Escape Hybrid once. Averaged 19 MPG on a test run in and around town. And the A/C system is a joke. It is still using the old-school belt driven compressor setup, which means the ICE must run at all times if you want A/C, or else it just blows insulting hot air in your face.

It also can't haul more than a 1,000 pound trailer... Considering the weight of even the smallest trailer, you'd hardly be able to put anything in it without going over that figure. And the Escape is pretty small inside.

The only plus is the optional all wheel drive setup. But if 19 MPG was any indication of real world driving, might as well just buy an older, gas powered, mid-size 4x4 SUV for cheap, for those snowy days, and save yourself about 25k. :p

I'm not saying they are all bad, but I do believe they are overpriced and just really nothing special.

4. clarkeb

clarkeb New Member

Not to mention that Toyota's cars generally have a much nicer interior design than Ford cars. I've driven in a few cars from Ford and even the top-of-the-line ones have cheap feeling plastic on the doors and are just uncomfortable. In contrast, Toyota tends to build nice cars that, even in budget models, have a more elegant feel to them. Maybe I'm just partial to the Japanese.

Don't Fords require a lot of maintenance too?

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

A Ford Excursion diesel hybrid or a Chevy Suburban hybrid.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clarkeb @ Oct 1 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]326531[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that certainly be said about my Prius.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clarkeb @ Oct 1 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]326531[/snapback]</div>
    I assume you're talking about the Prius seats?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 1 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]326561[/snapback]</div>
    Better Review:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/review...ne-healey_x.htm

Details on the BAS System:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-0...-vue-side_x.htm

It most definitely is not a simple stop/start system.

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 1 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]326568[/snapback]</div>
    Jonnycat - As a matter of fact, no, I didn't do much research, that's why I posted here, so you would do it for me! :D Bitch-slapping me for a typo seems a bit much though... :eek:

Interesting review, but not exactly enthusiastic. A detailed reading shows the hybrid Vue does not come in 4 wheel drive, so it's out of the running in any case.

The BAS system does seem to do a little bit more than start stop, but this explanation of the system does not change my original suspicions/opinions. The $650 tax credit ain't much by comparison to the $1,950 for the Escape.

Only time will tell on their full mode system, since it's not actually out yet.

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my parents have the RX 400h. it's a true joy to drive. it's performance is awesome. It's the exact same sytem as the hylander. we have not been able to get below 20mpg.. and we fly in that thing. If i drive well, i get over 30.

just my.02

12. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roverguy78 @ Oct 1 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]326529[/snapback]</div>
    So if you took a Prius on a 5 minute or so test drive around town, what do you think you'd get for gas milage? 60 MPG? More like 30 MPG in reality. Might as well just buy a regular sedan instead, right? Maybe a Chevy Malibu.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I guess I may as well answer the question instead of just a smart-nice person answer.

I would suggest she gets another Subaru. If she has been happy with her Outback, then there is no reason to drop the brand unless there is something far better.

Whe we replace our Volvo XC90 next year or so, we'll probably get another one, even there are some really nice competitor models. We know the XC90 and love it. Getting another (barring a radical overhaul) would be an easier transition. You tend to develop habits for driving a car, and a similar model would preclude you form having to learn new ones.

Tell her to get a Subaru. They are great cars (my brother has one!), and if she was happy with the Outback, then she'll love the Forrester.

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 2 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]326953[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. This was the kind of reply I was hoping for. In fact she does like Subaru now and was also thinking of the Tribecca.

If anyone else has actual recommendations or test drive experiences, I'd love to hear it.

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ Oct 3 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]327225[/snapback]</div>
    Actually my parents just got a Tribeca. I've driven it and it's actually quite nice. You mentioned that she's single, but if she suddenly has a bunch of kids, the Tribeca actually has LATCH attachments on all seats, even the third row, which is very unusual. Very nice surprise for me, as I have three kids, and outfitted my parents car with a full set of booster/car seats.

THe Tribeca has a lot of nice features and can be had fully equipped for a very resonable price. My parents got nav, rear seat DVD, and everything else for about $7k less than a comperable Acura MDX.

It is much different than any of the other Subarus though. It is much larger and is a much different experience than driving the others you mentioned.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ Oct 1 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]326636[/snapback]</div>
    There doesn't appear to be any smog-related emission reduction. I have yet to find official word of what that rating is, but the absense of any SULEV or PZEV reference along with that lower credit clearly indicates the system is most definitely not the same.