1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Install Method Is Best for Speaker Wire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ScubaX, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am on the final part of my stereo upgrade to my non-JBL system with the speakers already replaced. I have placed the 4 channel amp in the hidden compartment above the spare tire along with a Kenwood powered sub. I have made a "Y" cable to run from the head unit for AMP input and have run a 9 wire cable to the AMP. Now I have to chose whether to run all new 14AWG twisted pair from the AMP to each speaker or run it to the HU and using the same "Y" harness to just attach to the stock speaker outputs.

I know the latter is easier, but which is better for sound quality?

[attachmentid=720]

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I'm using the factory speaker wiring starting at the connector by the amp, and I think it's up to the task. Plus the factory wiring runs through the nav system for voice prompts.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help Tmorrowus. I will run it to the factory wire behind the HU from the AMP in the rear. This will make it a lot easier than running wire through to the doors. :)

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

14AWG won't have much of a loss for the extra run. I doubt the harness wiring has wiring nearly that thick though, probably closer to 18-20AWG, and I am leaning on 20. if that bothers you, then replace the wiring. If not, then intercept at the HU.