1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which manual?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ethereal, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've seen a number of posts about various (fairly technical) issues directing the reader to "the manual" for a solution. (Among others, turning off the reverse beep and entering "diagnostic mode.")

However, I've been disappointed to discover that, even after a couple of reads, the Owner's Maual appears to be little more than bright yellow boxes warning me not to oil the CD player or pour coffee into the cooling vent for the traction battery.

Am I to conclude that to do anything beyond merely driving the car (including what I would consider to be "preference settings" like turning the brain-piercing reverse beep off) I need to invest in a Service manual?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Mar 17 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]407396[/snapback]</div>
    The owner's manual could be better, I agree, but the info is in there. An alternative is to use the google when you have a question, or to use this excellent site: http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm

As for Service Manuals, I don't know that the average guy is going to get that much out of them, and I kind of have the feeling if you needed them, you would know you need them without asking.

3. JamieS

JamieS New Member

Yeah, the owner's manual was rather disappointing. I gave up reading it pretty quickly.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Service information is on-line in electronic form. You can subscribe by the day or longer periods of time.

Tom

5. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are also service manuals on line in CD format. They are really inexpensive. My guess is that they are illegal copies of the expensive printed manuals but for 5$ + shipping... <_<
    -Paul R. Haller-

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Mar 17 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]407396[/snapback]</div>
    Wait! I'm not supposed to pour coffee down the traction battery cooling vent?! But my dealer told me that this was the only way to get the EPA MPG numbers!

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy Ethereal

I agree that your Owner's Manual {441 pages} is not easy reading, poorly indexed and lacking in practical, everyday answers - HOWEVER - refusal to read it doesn't make sense to me. The PRIUS is a different kind of car in many ways and while some say "Just drive it.", that will not provide the best use of your Prius. John's alternative "Manual" is an excellent suggestion, his web site is interesting and informative.

In both my 2004 Prius {now traded for my 2007 Touring Edition}, I made it a practice to highlight interesting information and make my own "Index" on a blank back page to make it earier to re-access information I might need later or want to share with PriusChat-ers. I have made it a habit to first try to find the answer for myself, then ask assistance if I fail. Some hints and helpful information are not found in the Owner's Manual - Priuschat-ers are a perfect source for help in these areas.

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 17 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]407450[/snapback]</div>
    Just where did you get the idea that Ethereal refuses to read the owner's manual? :rolleyes:

The OP specifically wrote that he has read it twice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Mar 17 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]407396[/snapback]</div>

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further, you shouldn't expect to find out how to defeat safety features in the owners manual, nor how to get into the diagnostic screens.

Telling owners how to defeat safety features is a good way to get a lawsuit filed against you - especially in the US!

Telling owners how to get into the diagnostic screens is dangerous. You can select things only the dealer can recover from (maybe).

Making your own index is a good idea, at least for things you have trouble finding. eg - for the anti-Prius (see below), torque value for wheel nuts. They hid it in the owners manual. After two episodes of 20 min. of frustration hunting through the manual, I finally had the sense to write in my own index item!

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 17 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]407609[/snapback]</div>
    In my Intrigue I know I'm in reverse by way of the shift indicator and that the car moves backwards. Any driver who needs a beep that is only audible inside the car to know its in reverse should have a license. If the reverse beep is such a great safety feature why don't you hear it outside of the car?

Toyota left out a lot of good stuff in their poorly edited manual. I don't remember where or from whom I got the attached file. I'm sure it will help.

Attached Files:

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 17 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]407631[/snapback]</div>
    Try to remember where you steal stuff.

The Search function at the top of every PriusChat page will help the OP find what he is looking for.

12. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 17 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]407685[/snapback]</div>
    It already has. How do you think I got rid of the d@mn beep? :D

13. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Mar 17 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]407401[/snapback]</div>
    That's a great reference. Many thanks to those who contributed to it. I do have one question.
    After I downloaded the guide, I noticed the first page says, "... for the HSD (2004-2006) model".
    I have a 07 model. Therefore, will all the procedures in this guide (like disabling the beeping when the vehicle is in reverse) still work on the 07 models? I would like to try this particular procedure but am a little concerned the steps may not work or even screw up something else.

Thanks,
    Peter

14. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Peter. Unless you get into the Diagnostic menu (which is quite an intricate dance on the screen) it is hard to really screw anything up. The 2004-2007 Prius is much the same. A small shift occurred in the MFD with nav in 2006+; the screen is higher resolution and the video signal is different, so some options and functions that work on a 2004-2005 won't work on a 2006-2007. The DVD which is the basis for the navigation changed features when it moved to its current, as of March 2007, version 6.1. Several voice commands and features were added, but it also "broke" some of the hacks that could be performed on earlier versions.

I did discover, to my chagrin, that the voice command "Delete all destinations" is equivalent to "delete all memory points" and effectively wipes out any places you've stored.

15. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello Bill. Thanks for the reply & clarification. I will definitely try disabling the beeping in reverse tomorrow. Not sure if you have tried this procedure yourself. If so, can you please confirm that the brake pedal needs to be depressed while pushing the power "OFF" and "ON" button during steps 2 & 3 of this procedure?

16. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since I'm not sure exactly which procedure you are referring to, and which steps, here's how to do it:
    1. Sit in driver's seat, foot on brake - POWER ON to Ready
    2. Press the Trip/ODO button to cycle through Trip A and Trip B, stopping with the odometer showing
    3. POWER OFF
    4. With foot on brake, POWER ON to Ready and immediately
    5. Press and HOLD the Trip/ODO button in FOR 20 SECONDS OR MORE
    6. After 20 seconds, WHILE STILL HOLDING THE Trip/ODO button in, with your foot still on the brake, shift from Park to R, then press the Park button again
    7. Release the Trip/ODO button, the speedometer should show "b-on" or "b-off" where you'd normally see the odometer reading
    8. Press the Trip/ODO button to toggle the beep on or off
    9. POWER OFF
    If you do this same procedure, but in step 6 you latch your seat belt (a tricky operation while holding the ODO button) you can turn off the beeps for an unfastened driver's seat belt. If you get to step 6 and the passenger latches their seat belt, you can turn off the beeps for an unfastened passenger seat belt.

I do not advocate defeating any Toyota safety system nor driving on any public roadway without wearing a seat belt.

And if you do decide to stop the internal infernal beeps, seriously consider installing an external backup beeper so pedestrians and small animals can know you are moving in reverse. Radio Shack carries a small pulsed buzzer, for example, that you could wire into a back up light.

17. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 17 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]407759[/snapback]</div>
    Now, that's what I want Bill. Although, I'd prefer an actual beep to a buzz. In any case, the idea is good.

Thanks for letting me(us) know of that option.

Dave M.

18. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bill, thanks again for the excellent directions. Works like a charm! No more beeping!

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 17 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]407685[/snapback]</div>
    Bill, you're right. It might be time for some Aricept. For the record, john1701a seems to be a major contributor but I don't know if he is the author. If he is, thanks, John. I found this 3 months before I bought my car and it helped in the decision process.